chapter Thirty-six

Today Taemin and I planned to climb Halla Mountain. He seems to be excited, while I'm still nervous about tonight. Last night we slept side by side like before, but I felt guilty knowing that as my husband, he had the right to expect more, yet he didn't push me.

I look over at him. He's checking our backpacks for all the essentials. I look for any trace of irritation on his face, but don't find any. I let out a sigh of relief and he looks at me.

"Mrs. Lee, what are you sighing about so early in the morning?" He says and embraces me from behind.

"Nothing, I'm just.....happy" I say and kiss his cheek. He giggles mockingly and places both hands on each cheek.

"Aigo! You so cute!"

I pinch his cheeks and he protests.

We take our backpacks and head out. Taemin explains to me how there's two trails, one that's fairly easy, and the other one that takes you to the very top of the mountain.

"I'm guessing that's the one we're taking?" I say teasingly and he laughs.

"Correct! You're so smart Dora the Explorer! Make sure you have your map and your backpack!" He says and laughs at his own joke.

"Sure! But where would I be without my monkey companion 'Boots!?" I retort and ruffle his hair.

"Touché" he laughs.

We reach the mountain side and I gulp when I see the mountain before us.

Its official, I won't make it.

"Baby, I think im too fat for this" I say, tugging on his shirt sleeve.

"No your not, and if you get tired I'll just carry you" he says and starts to pull me up the steps. I grumble but follow him anyway.

We see fellow hikers who are coming down and they seem on the brink of death.

"Ummmmmm baby" I say looking back at a woman who's gasping for breath.

"stop worrying, we'll make it" he yells back. I run to catch up with him and he holds my hand. I look up at him and see a trickle of sweat come down from his forehead onto his neck. I suddenly get a tingling sensation in my stomach and legs and bend down in surprise.

"Are you hurt!?" He says quickly checking me.

"Nothing, I just.... my stomach feels wierd" I say.

"Let me check" he gets down on one knee and lifts my shirt just above my bellybutton. When his warm fingers touch the exposed skin on my belly, the pain becomes worse. I feel as if my thighs were caving in.

"What's wrong?" He says when I bend over further. He grabs my hips and slams his cheek onto my stomach. A weird sound escapes my mouth......a moan? A grunt?

"What was that!?" He says alarmed and looks up at me.

"A burp!" I say and he gets up quickly.

"Your hungry!" He says and smiles.

"You scared me there for a second"

He gets some sandwiches from our backpack and hands one to me.

"Yeah, I scared myself there for a second" I say and laugh awkwardly.

What's wrong with me?

I'm just hungry......right?

I take a bite but it doesn't make the feeling go away.