Chapter 16: Recovery

"Z-Zu...zu"

"Y-Yeah, Hito...I'm here..."

~~~

White.

Blinding white.

That's the first thing Hitoshi saw when he opened his eyes.

The second thing he saw was a blur of green.

Blinking a few times, he could feel a tear slip out of his eyes as his vision became clearer and clearer.

As he was about to turn his head, he felt a soft hand wipe away the stray tear.

"Z-Zu..zu" Hitoshi whispered out, but it felt like his throat was the Sahara desert.

"Y-Yeah, Hito, I'm here...I'm here..." Izuku whispered to him, tears slowly falling down his freckled cheeks.

Hitoshi turned his head to his boyfriend and gave a small, tired smile, trying to ease Izuku's nerves.

Izuku wobbly smiled back.

"W-Wha-" Hitoshi managed to say, before coughing up a storm.

"H-Hey, don't talk yet. Let me get you some water," Izuku said, standing up from his seat and walking out of the room.

Taking his time, Hitoshi looked around the room.

There was a window next to his bed; yellowish curtains hung limply, covering the whole window, blocking all the light from coming through. Next to the window was a small bedside table, on top of which was a tv remote. On the other side of his bed was the chair Izuku was sitting in. Looking farther, there was a television on the wall in front of him, for easy watching. There was a bathroom next to the television, not too far from the bed. The door was parallel to the window, which was now opening to reveal Izuku carrying a bottle of water.

"Here, I'll help you drink it," Izuku said, sitting down and opening the water bottle.

"T-Than-" Hitoshi tried to say, but only resulted in dry coughing that hurt his throat.

Izuku looked at him in concern, before offering the open bottle to him.

"Drink it slowly and in small sips," Izuku said, as Hitoshi started drinking the water.

"W-What...happened?" Hitoshi asked, his voice only slightly scratchy now.

"Th-" Izuku stopped and took a shaky breath, "The nomu t-took you...it pierced your abdomen with its claws...it almost collapsed your lungs...the ambulance came... but you almost didn't make it," Izuku said, voicing quieting at the end.

"Hey, hey. I'm still here, I'm not going anywhere..." Hitoshi said, taking Izuku's hand in his own.

"Y-You...you can't leave me...y-you're the first person...besides Mei...who's cared about me...y-you can't abandon me...l-like they did..." Izuku said, sniffling a little.

Hitoshi knew exactly who 'they' were.

"Those people were bastards who didn't deserve you. They only cared about power, but you're so much more than that. You're..." Hitoshi said, trailing off at the end.

"I'm what..." Izuku whispered, looking into Hitoshi's amethyst eyes. They both subconsciously leaned closer.

"Extraordinary..." Hitoshi whispered, leaning in even more.

As their lips were about to touch they heard a very familiar voice from the doorway.

"Can you two wait until later for your make-out session? Hitoshi's still in recovery," Aizawa said, voice his usual monotone but his eyes were filled with relief that Hitoshi was awake.