29| Realisation

Y/N POV

People gathered in the great hall to hear Dumbledore announcing the potential victims of the Triwizard Tournament. I felt sorry for those candidates. Dumbledore swished his wand to blackout the hall and let the blue flame from the goblet stood alone. The blue flame then crackled before turning into red and a piece of paper flew out.

"The Durmstrang champion is...Viktor Krum!" Dumbledore announced.

I saw the familiar guy from the Quidditch world cup walked away from the Slytherin table into the adjoining chamber. His schoolmates cheered him with tons of applause. Some Slytherin cheered for him too and that included Draco.

"Don't you think he's familiar?" I asked Draco who was sitting next to me.

"He's the Bulgarian seeker. We saw him in the world cup," he answered.

Dumbledore drew out another paper from the flame and shouted, "The champion from Beauxbatons is...Fleur Delacour!"

Cheers coming from the Beauxbatons girls. I watched how she walked into the chamber. Her long legs stepped on the ground as if she was walking on a red carpet. How elegant.

"She must be popular among guys," I muttered to myself.

"Really? I don't know her," Draco blurted.

Finally, it was time to announce the Hogwarts' champion. I didn't know much about the year 7 students so I had no one in my mind that would fit to be the champion. Correction, victim.

"Cedric Diggory!" Dumbledore exclaimed.

Everyone was cheering for Cedric. I had never met him before. I wondered if he was a qualified candidate for this tournament or simply an idiot who just wanted the fame and not minding to get himself killed.

"Whoa...why did no one tell me there's a guy like him in our school?" I gasped in awe. I was surprised to see a decent-looking guy in Hogwarts where most of the boys in my year were either like Vincent and Greg. I had been here for more than 3 years and he was nowhere to be spotted. Where the hell had he been all those years?

"Oh please, he is nothing to be surprised of," Draco groaned.

I stared at him, comparing him with that Cedric. Well, Cedric had a friendly charm. But my best friend here had something more...captivating. I didn't know if that was the word to describe it but I had to admit that Draco was obviously super good looking and had been the Mr Popular of the Slytherin house. My thoughts shifted back to what we talked about on the train. He liked somebody. This upset me so much. Who could that someone possibly be?

"Y/N?" He called while I was still staring at him.

"Yeah?"

"Why are–"

Draco didn't get to finish his sentence because Dumbledore was calling Harry's name loudly. I didn't know what was going on in here but it looked quite serious as people murmured when Harry walked past them to go to the chamber. Oh right, Harry was only 14 and the tournament shouldn't be accepting a 14-year-old champion.

•••

I'd had this uneasy feeling since Draco told me he had a crush on someone. I thought this feeling was just temporary, but as hard as I tried to forget it, it wouldn't just go away. I thought I was probably going mad.

I went to the library to find Hermione. She was the only person I could really trust besides Draco. Maybe she would have a solution for this.

"Y/N, I'm so sorry about our silly fight last year. I just want you to know that now I'll support whatever your decision will be," she stated after I told her the little problem I was having.

"I don't get what you mean Hermione," I replied shortly.

"You like him, don't you?" She asked.

"I like all my friends," I answered casually.

"No, you like him in uh...a romantic way. That explains your uneasy feeling, Y/N. You don't want him to like any other girl, but you," she explained.

"What in the hell..," I gasped. My face heated up as soon as I realised what Hermione was saying might be the truth that I was too scared to discover.

"What am I supposed to do now? He likes someone else. Should I force him to like me? I don't want to have this feeling Hermione," I panicked.

"Relax, I'll always help and support you. Now listen, you just have to think whether you want to keep liking him or stop," she consoled.

I nodded in understanding.

"And please, act cool and natural," she reminded me.

That was the biggest problem. I couldn't just pretend like I didn't feel anything now. To make it worse, Draco loved teasing me. How could I survive without him knowing?

•••

Act cool my ass. I had been avoiding Draco for almost a week and he had no idea why I was doing that. He tried to talk to me every day, in class, in the great hall, in the common room, he even came to meet me in the library!

Lately, I found that hanging out with Hermione would keep Draco away. He still disliked my friendship with the trio Gryffindors. Actually, Hermione was also having a problem in her inner circle. Not hers technically, but Harry and Ron had been quarrelling since the goblet of fire spat out Harry's name.

I became friends with Ginny too, all thanks to Hermione. To be frank, Ron was being a baby and just jealous of Harry being one of the champions. He could've solved his problem with Harry easily if he would just take away his ego for a moment and talk like an actual male.

Their problem overshadowed mine somehow. It should've been girls talk session between me, Hermione and Ginny. But Ron kept coming to rant about Harry every single time. We clearly had shown that we were tired of hearing his dull problem yet he would never seem to notice.

"You should say it to him by yourself," I suggested. Ron was asking Hermione to tell Harry the message he got from his other friends, that I couldn't remember who, saying that Hagrid was looking for Harry. Hermione sighed in defeat. She agreed to do it just for this one time. I accompanied her to find Harry with Ginny.

We passed by Draco and the gang. He tried to stop me but I managed to move away pretty quick. I saw the hurtful eyes he gave me earlier. What should I do? I didn't want any of these to happen. If only Hermione didn't make me realise what my feeling was, I would still be normal.

Harry was in the black lake with Neville. Hermione argued with Ron for the last time before going to Harry to tell him the message. I watched Hermione struggling being a messenger between the two idle-headed boys.

"Well, you could tell Ronald–"

"I'm not an owl!" She yelled before we left the scene.

I decided to go back to my common room since Hermione was having a bad mood. Worst decision ever, Draco was there alone. He looked at me with a hurtful stare. What had I done?

"Y/N...," he called as he came closer.

"I don't know what I did wrong but I'm sorry. Please tell–"

I stopped him by hugging him instead. It took him a few second before hugging me back. He must be surprised, I never hugged him first. No, came to think of it, Draco had always been the one to do everything first. But why?

"I'm sorry for avoiding you Draco. I'm having a little problem with myself, a girl problem," I apologised.

I tried breaking the hug, but as usual, he tightened it instead. I never refused, I liked hugging him. Not a best friend kind of like.

"Can we stay like this for a bit longer?" He asked.

"Um...sure."