122| The School Pests

Draco POV

A birthday was an annual event that used to be something ordinary and didn't differ from any other days to me until 6 years ago. On this very same day, I eavesdropped on a conversation between Crabbe, Goyle and a Richards I was trying to befriend the whole year.

It was only minutes that I found out she worked on something special behind my back. She planned a birthday surprise for a boy who annoyed the hell out of her all year. I remembered how I was panic-stricken caused by some newly-born emotions that grew that day. Stupid me was trying to stop her attempt to celebrate a day that only marked the fact that I had taken out a year from my life span.

I didn't fancy a surprise—especially a girly one.

But she was smiling all day; a smile so dazzling, it blinded me for a moment as though the sun shone its ray right before me as her cheeks lifted from the grin she shared generously. And the way her eyes twinkled never changed from the first time I met her in Diagon Alley, then I realised I had been enthralled in great astonishment once again as the giggle escaped her form.

The excitement that glowed in her jewel eyes and the way she said my name with the warmth I couldn't get enough from my own family so easily did something to my whole being. Also, the beauty so ethereal she was made of, a priceless love laying in her pure heart, the everlasting fondness and care only she could grow for the luckiest man on the planet and a public secret that she was born to be the only daughter of a prestigious family; God did play favourite in His creation after all and I had told her that many times.

I want her.

How much would everything that is her cost to possess?

I'd trade even my life to make her mine forever.

Those were some lines that kept popping up out of nowhere in my head through the years.

As if the lucky star struck on me, I got her then butterflies became my best friends ever since I started dating her. Everyone knew that Y/N was the last of her kind, now it titled her to be the only—my only Y/N Richards. She had everything every living soul ever wanted within her existence and her willingness to share all that with a prick like me was very much of a difficulty to understand.

What did I do to have everyone's dream girl agreeing to be mine?

However, my first birthday with her didn't go as smoothly as she planned. I acted surprised as best as I could but she knew I wasn't. I didn't want to bring a frown to her face, she should only have happy beams radiating from her lips.

Thankfully, I did make her laugh with a joke I stole from the humour section in Daily Prophet I read the day before. She turned soft, making me sure that I truly had something for her—something that I should've stopped from springing up if I knew a monster to serve the dark lord was destined to develop in me.

I could say that we both were filled with joy altogether at the time.

I even had the chance to caress her hair properly that day!

Then I found myself looking forward to my next birthday. It happened every year; I waited like a birthday maniac, counting days down with thrill, faking to forget my own birthday only to see her content smiles when she thought she succeeded in surprising me with her brilliant birthday party idea.

If only that was it.

If only things stayed that way, we could at least be friends forever.

If only I wasn't a selfish ungrateful brat who wanted her all for myself, she wouldn't have to suffer from discovering the sad truth later.