VI.I

Morrigan had spent a hefty amount of her summer buried inside the libraries that the Lynch Manor provided

Morrigan had spent a hefty amount of her summer buried inside the libraries that the Lynch Manor provided. Aidan visited her to plan strategies. He was the only one who ever came. She often would go to Remus's, pick up the package of potions that Bill had sent her, and she would always leave one on Draco's night table. She also took the liberty to owl her other friends the bottle with instructions. 

She couldn't look at them in the eye. She was afraid to see the missing mischievous and wicked look behind Marcus's eyes. The gentle yet reckless gaze of Theo's, and most importantly, his glints that ensured warmth and comfort. 

When she had seen Draco cry into his mother's arms, something broke inside of her. Something irreparable. She was causing harm to her loved ones. Days without sleeping were proof of her heavy bags, and untouched meals the root of her prominent cheekbones. 

Something broke. Her will to protect her friends broke. 

She wouldn't go on with her mission if it meant hurting them once again. She couldn't. 

To hell with revenge, with conviction and glory. She could reach it any other way, but not at the expense of her friends and loved ones. 

She gulped the bourbon that burned her throat, hastily dropping the glass into the table. It was the third book she had read about common poisons. 

She needed to kill Albus Dumbledore. Regardless of Draco's mission, she was going to kill Dumbledore. 

Aidan sighed and furrowed his brow, "you can't go on like this, Mor. I know it hurts to see Draco with the dark mark, but he needs you. You are here cowering inside your house while he lives inside the Manor with that same that burned his skin"

"Aidan, I sincerely know that Narcissa is protecting him, at least better than I can ever try. It does't hurt Aidan, it burns, it feels like someone is purposefully taking my guts and wrenching them. I promised to protect them from a mere mark, how can I protect them from what's to come? 

I tried, okay? I fucking tried. If they stay away from me, they won't be touched. If Voldemort sees a personal connection, he will strike there, just like he already did. He doesn't love and will never know how to genuinely care for someone, not even for me. I won't have them in that crossfire, nor my friends and family. I appreciate you staying and devising plans with me, but do not tell me how to feel. 

You cannot and will not tell me how to grief. Do you have a burden of people's trust on your shoulders? Fuck my legacy, this is so much worse, Aidan", she says shakily. 

Aidan inspects her, trying to even help her stand straight. He knew this moment was coming. The moment where Morrigan Gaunt finally breaks. 

The unmistakable sobs resounded through her body, and Aidan did not even think twice in enevloping in his arms.