02

Fleurette was so annoyed. Where did she even start? She was practically pushed into a corner to come here, to seek work. Now, she wasn't an idiot, she was no fool; she knew full well that she could not go on in life without some form of income, but she would've preferred to find said income on her own, with her own skills and not be forced into a situation she could not control. Having no control over her life was something which Fleurette did not like. Eleanor chose what she wore to this audition, their father put in word to Madame Giry to possibly take them into the troupe, there as no input with her, all of this was things being done for her, but by her. And how was that fair? It wasn't.

The argument, if it could be called that, before even entering the theatre had unsettled Fleurette's stomach. It was also embarrassing that the same topic got carried over and continued after they had danced the simple routine which was bluntly spoken out to them. It was hard to tell whether they had done well, the stony mask which was Giry's face was hard to crack. Fleurette had to walk away, she didn't want to continue this topic more than what they had already. The breather did little good, her heart still raced, her pulse still up, and it wasn't until she realised...she actually didn't know where she had walked off to.

Tapping a foot on the wooden floor, she frowned. So perhaps walking off in a strange place wasn't the wisest idea she'd ever had. She had many moments like this, she just did things without thinking. Eleanor would say she had a secret fiery side which matched her hair, that sometimes it was too much it could burn those around her when riled up. Looking over her shoulder she sighed, at least Eleanor wasn't following her. A small guilty feeling waved over her. Maybe she had said things she didn't mean too as well. So she'd had two bad decisions in the past twenty minutes.

Making a thoughtful popping noise, Fleurette picked her pace back up and walked onwards. What was the harm in exploring? She didn't want to go back to Eleanor, they needed space unless another argument was to erupt. Stopping once again, Fleurette frowned, perhaps her sister had gone to their father and told him that she'd stormed off. Fleurette didn't even conceal the shudder which ran over her. Her father was a kind man, but he had one hell of a temper. He had slowly become more jaded as the days dragged on. Maintaining normalcy, grief, and two daughters was taking its toll. And yes, Fleurette realised in this moment of thoughtful contemplation that she definitely wasn't helping matters. She was being selfish, childish, something she didn't think she was: an utter fool.

Walking again Fleurette looked around. She was surrounded by back drops and ropes. It was eerie, definitely shouldn't have come this way, Fleurette thought. There were other corridors which lead to other parts of the opera house. Yet no, she continued straight on. So the saying of followings one's nose wasn't exactly brilliant or clearly something to take literally. This moment was entirely evident of that, wasn't it?

"Perhaps you are lost, little dancer?" A voice questioned from nowhere yet everywhere.

Fleurette stood stock still and looked around. She was trying to figure what her next move was, but the low thoughtful voice which seemed to have just a hint of sarcastic humour, dry, sarcastic humour in it, had caused her a moment of stilling. She could not see anyone near her, she was alone. Yet clearly not. "Hello?" She questioned quietly her voice was almost inaudible. It wasn't a normal thing to have a floating voice from wherever speak to her from the dark.

"I do not take kindly to lost dancers exploring my opera house." The voice spoke deadly serious. So the humour in the situation which she found herself within, that he himself found humour in, was now gone. The unknown male was being serious, there was no leeway here, pure seriousness that just hit home that she had stumbled into territory that was not hers to freely walk around in.

Fleurette took a sharp intake of breath and remembered one major thing about this opera house. It was haunted. Well that information took longer to come to the forefront of her mind than it should've. It was a story, a real ghost story that terrified, shocked and intrigued anyone and everyone who knew about it, him. Who the ghost was, was an utter mystery. Fleurette and even Eleanor had been told by their father all the things which would happen within the theatre. Things would go missing, scripts and scores alike would appear as if by magic; accidents did happen too, suspicious accidents that would cause everyone a moment to pause and turn stonily silent like statues.

Wrapping her arms around herself, she took to peering behind backdrops as if the ghost was merely behind one. Even if he was, what would she do? What would he do to her? The latter thought caused her to swallow thickly, now that was something she did not wish to dwell on. Would this man hurt her, simply for being lost? He already stated she was lost, someone who was lost didn't and wouldn't get hurt by a stranger, right? Right? Fleurette didn't know! She was merely here for an audition, not this, never this. If she was told this morning she'd end up being addressed by a ghost, she would've laughed. She wouldn't have believed that. Easier to believe it now that it was happening.

"You will not find me, little dancer."

"...Monsieur Opera Ghost, perhaps you can point me back to the stage?" Fleurette asked while walking around a backdrop and then appearing back in the small clearing. There was no answer, she jumped when a length of rope fell and coiled on the floor at the entrance of one corridor. "Thank you." She whispered, she tried to sound thankful, but that alone had made her jump. The impact sound of the heavy rope seemed almost deafening in this space, this small space of dark solitude. Needless to say she stepped around the rope with a hesitant look, as if it was going to suddenly leap up and wrap around her; or worse yet, an end of it still being up in the rafters and in the hands of the ghost lurking in the shadows.

"I am not deaf." The Opera Ghost said almost bitterly. He meant no offence, or maybe he did? But even he could hear the noise from the stage from here, could she not? Though if Fleurette concentrated enough, she could've found her way back by sound alone. But this whole thing had set her on edge.

Fleurette walked briskly towards the corridor entrance. "Sorry, Monsieur Opera Ghost for intruding." Once she got to the entrance of the corridor she turned and bowed at the seemingly empty room.

"Little dancer, women do not bow." The voice said simply. Fleurette ran a hand down her face and curtsied quickly before twirling on her heels and walking as quickly as she could towards the stage.

"Little flower, there you are!" Eleanor exclaimed quietly yet excitedly. She didn't wait another minute before rushing over and enveloping her younger sister in a tight embrace. The moment Fleurette went walking off...Eleanor had lost sight of her so quickly in that moment of looking away for a minute that she was worried.

"Perhaps it is not wise for the youngest Bousquet to go off exploring by herself?" A elder woman's voice spoke sternly. Fleurette opened one of her eyes and pulled away from her sister. Madame Giry stood looking sternly at the two of them.

"I am sorry."

"I believe it is not me who you would have to apologise to." The black dressed woman said simply. Fleurette bit her tongue. There was no need to bring up the fact that she'd just had a minor conversation with the ever prominent entity which called this place home. "Take that into consideration please, young Bousquet."

"I will."

"Fleurette we got chosen!" Eleanor said not being able to hold in the excitement anymore. Whereas the elder of the two was ecstatic the younger was a little more reserved. "We are to stay here, we're allowed to go get some things?"

"Of course." Madame Giry answered with a slight bow of the head.

"Come on!" Eleanor gripped onto Fleurette's hand and pulled her back to the stage. Managing to avoid a practise the two waved quickly to their father and disappeared from the building.

——

Reedited: 7/Jan/2022