44

"For my sanity may I question where you plan to go?"

"Will the answer be just for your sanity?"

"Where you are to go, Monsieur, I think my sister shall follow. She is loyal you see."

"Erik."

"Excuse me?"

"It's my name." Eleanor had a thoughtful look on her face before nodding slowly. "Now we're on first name basis we're not classed as total strangers. I am going to America."

Eleanor jumped and frowned at him. "She cannot go with you."

"May I question why?"

"Because she can't."

"That does not seem to be a reliable answer to my question." Erik said, "In fact it does not seem to be an answer at all." His words caused a glare to be shot in his direction again.

Eleanor sighed heavily and buried her head in her hands. "This is moving too fast for my liking. When do you go?"

"Tomorrow night." Erik answered plainly, Eleanor groaned and peeked out from her fingers.

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Oh for God's sake." Eleanor muttered, Erik smiled and looked at her. Blaspheming didn't honestly seem like a trait of Eleanor's, it took him by surprise to hear her do it. "Right," Eleanor said while putting her hands over her mouth and nodding slowly. Erik could see she was trying to fathom everything out. Looking up at him teary eyed she shook her head. "What will you do over there?"

"Start anew."

"Right...how evasive."

"Eleanor you are not stupid. What do I do?"

"You lived in an opera house, you took it upon yourself to say what shows were to be performed."

"Eleanor, a few performances you did I wrote." Erik admitted, Eleanor looked at him shocked.

"You will do the same over there?"

"Yes."

"And you plan to take Fleurette with you?"

"Only if she wishes."

"So you will not keep on at her to come with you?"

"No," Erik looked down at the floor. "Her family is here, I would not wish to see her upset by deciding to come with me if it isn't what she truly wishes. I have asked her though, I thought you should know that much as well."

"And her answer?" Eleanor questioned, Erik just gave her a look which caused her to let out a heavy sigh.

"When you go out there, do not lecture or shout at her." Erik said, trying to convey how either would not help the situation at all.

Eleanor looked at him sidewards and smiled. "Oh, what's this? Getting on the defensive for my sister? Oh, I think I like you, Erik, anyone who wishes to defend my sister are fine by me." Eleanor smiled and turned the handle on the door, she swiftly exited the room after that. Erik let out a sigh and sat down on the edge of the bed, family and protective sisters were a tricky business to deal with.

——

Fleurette opened the bathroom door and came face to face with Eleanor. Leaning out and looking around the corridor, Fleurette stepped out. "Are you all right?"

"I apologised. We're on first name basis too, some may say given a few months we may be the best of friends." Eleanor laughed and nodded her head down the corridor, "You must be hungry Fleurette, let's find some food. Midnight feasts were a favoured past time, remember?"

"Uh-huh, although mother didn't really approve especially when you ate too much chocolate cake and was horribly sick the next day."

"Well luckily we have no chocolate cake." Eleanor laughed and walked alongside her sister down the corridor.

Sitting at the kitchen table the sisters looked at each other and then at the food which they had raided out of the cupboards. Both grinned and took to eating, Felix wandered into the room with a confused look and then walked out again. He thought it best not to question them, or in fact disrupt the moment.

"Fleurette, you will be careful, won't you?"

"Huh?"

"I know." Eleanor said while eyeing up a small cake of some sort. She groaned and put it down, Fleurette laughed and snatched the cake from the plate and ate it herself.

"...He told you?"

"Mmhmm," Eleanor nodded slowly and rubbed her eyes letting out a quiet yawn, she smiled. "Will you be happy over there? Deep down, will you be happy?" Eleanor smiled and stood up, "Think about it, I am going to have to go to bed Fleurette, I'm sorry. I dearly wish I could stay up and chat longer with you but I cannot." Eleanor smiled and wrapped her arms around Fleurette tightly. "Invite Erik down here, share and share alike, hm?" Eleanor leaned away and smiled one last time before walking towards the doorway. "Do not stay up to late though, I mean you have had a rather eventful evening, have you not?" She smiled and left, Fleurette drummed her fingers on the table and looked up at the ceiling.

She could hear Eleanor's footsteps walking into her room, once she heard the quiet sounds of a door shutting she stood up. Walking quietly down the hallway she walked up the staircase and approached her room. Opening the door she looked around. Her eyes landed on Erik who was sitting at her desk leaning his head against his hand. Hearing the door open however he perked up and looked in her direction.

Smiling and entwining her hands in front of herself she quickly looked down at the white long sleeved nightgown she was in and then up at him. "Come on, Erik," she held a hand out to him.

Erik stood up and tentatively walked over to where she stood. His eyes stared out at the darkened corridor behind her. He then looked down at her, Fleurette smiled, reaching out slowly he placed a hand in hers and entwined his fingers slowly with hers. She turned and walked out of the room, he walked slowly after her. Erik kept his guard up throughout their quiet journey through the house. He did however eye up the pictures which hung from the walls as they passed, turning into the kitchen he raised an eyebrow at the food.

Fleurette smiled sheepishly and looked at him. "Eleanor backed out and went to rest. Are you hungry?" Fleurette jumped and sat down in her chair and watched him.

Erik slowly walked over and sat down, "This all feels very strange."

"I know." Fleurette agreed, "You told Eleanor about going over to America?"

"Lying to your sister probably is not a wise move on my behalf." Erik admitted and ate some of the food in front of him slowly. "She is worried you will choose unwisely. She also thinks you are being talked into going."

"I'm not."

"I know that." Erik said slowly while looking up at her. Fleurette just sat there with her arms crossed underneath the table, she wasn't eating anything and instead went from looking at the leftover food to looking up at him.

——

Reedited: 31/Jan/2022