22

"What are you doing out here all alone? Should you not be in there, enjoying the party?" Erik asked while gesturing back towards the doors. From out here the sounds from within echoed over the quiet balcony.

"Peace," Fleurette said while waving at the area around them. She was right, it was very quiet out here. "Enjoying the party? No." She shook her head and pushed some of her curls over her shoulder.

Erik turned and looked at the hall through the doors. The song which was previously being played had stopped. Looking down at the ground he looked at Fleurette sidewards and held his hand out. She looked at him sceptically, or at least he thought that was a sceptical look. It was hard to tell considering half her face was covered. "Can I have this dance?"

"I have to warn you," Fleurette said while stepping forward and putting her hand in his. "I am not very good at dancing."

Erik raised an eyebrow, how someone who was a dancer for a living couldn't be good at ballroom dancing was a mystery to him. Erik walked steadily still holding onto Fleurette's hand, the two stepped through the door and were immediately swamped in the noise of the ball. Despite all the masks and fancy clothing, Erik still managed to spot Eleanor and Felix. Narrowing his eyes he scanned the hall and almost failed to miss Lucien drinking himself to an oblivion.

Turning caused Fleurette to twirl slightly and look up at him. She reached up with her other hand and put it on his shoulder. Erik reached down and placed his other hand on her waist. The music soon started and every dancer sprung into life. Fleurette looked around at the other people and quietly sighed. "Who invited you Monsieur? My father, or Eugene?"

"You did, little dancer." Erik said, Fleurette's eyes, which were previously looking around with a dull look in them suddenly lit up.

"Erik! You came!" She exclaimed quietly with a growing smile, he nodded slowly and looked around. He was mainly looking to see if anyone had noticed her drastic change in character. Eleanor and Felix still stood talking to a group of people. Lucien was still sitting drinking himself under the table.

"I do not see Charles."

"Erik, everyone is wearing a mask. If I didn't recognise you, how could you possibly recognise someone you haven't met?"

"Mannerisms." He answered obviously. Fleurette looked at him confused and then laughed lightly. He shook his head slightly and looked around. "You are not enjoying this then, Fleurette?"

"No. Well I am now." She whispered and looked up at him. "Only because you are here. I did not think you would come considering..." Her voice trailed off quietly. She was referring to their last conversation. Erik had to admit that they did not part on good terms. "What made you attend this evening?"

"The company of course." He smiled and looked at her, Fleurette smiled and let out a small laugh. "What bought you here then?" Erik asked politely even though he already knew the answer.

"Oh, well you see, I had to come. I had no option but to come." Fleurette answered while the music stopped playing and they stopped dancing. Erik smiled and nodded at her answer and tightened his grip on her. Fleurette let out a gasp in surprise and looked up at him confused.

"May I have the next dance?" A familiar voice asked. Fleurette looked slowly over her shoulder, Charles stood behind her wearing a dark blue suit and a white and gold mask. She didn't answer but looked down at the floor and up at Erik.

He didn't seem to have any intention of letting her go but eventually did. "Why of course." He smiled, Charles smiled in return and Fleurette got passed into his hands. Erik stepped back and watched the two. It was obvious how much Fleurette didn't want to take part in this dance.