07

"I do not have anywhere else to call home." Erik stated, Fleurette's eyes saddened. "Do not look at me like that." He said seriously, Fleurette set her eyes downward and nodded slowly. A small pang of guilt settled within him. He couldn't help but be slightly blunt with his earlier words. Erik didn't take kindly to being looked at with such sad pity filled eyes. "Why do you not sleep when everyone else does?"

"I can't," Fleurette said quietly while finally letting go of his hand and walking to the edge of the roof. "I try, but I just can't." She put her hands on the ledge and looked out at the city. Looking down she bit her lip in thought.

Erik frowned and took a few sharp steps forward when Fleurette had climbed up onto the ledge and stood with her arms crossed. "You do not plan to jump do you?" He questioned curiously.

Fleurette turned and looked at him. "No, I do not wish to die."

"Then why are you up there?"

"Because I can see over the smoke of the city and see the stars." She answered like it was the most obvious thing to say. Fleurette smiled at Erik's slight child like curiosity and worry. She would be the same when she thought over the current situation. Fleurette wouldn't want to witness a practical stranger jump from a rooftop and kill themselves.

She looked slightly confused when a black gloved hand was held out to her, she shuddered when the wind picked up a little. "It is dangerous and I do not wish to see someone so talented fall to their death." Erik stated while waving his hand at her again.

"I will not fall."

"It is dangerous up there." He said more seriously, Fleurette lowered her eyes and reached out and put her hand in his. Erik pulled her down so hard that she fell over from the impact.

Finding herself kneeling on the floor Fleurette frowned and jumped up to stand. "You said I was talented?" Well that was definitely a surprise to hear, she wasn't expecting to hear a compliment such as that come from him; someone who had chastised and been sarcastic towards her, hiding away in the darkness and passing comments here and there.

"You are, you put in enough practise."

"You watch me on a regular basis, Erik?" Fleurette questioned with a light smirk, Erik flinched a little and looked at her with confused eyes. She laughed lightly and put a hand over her mouth to hide her smile.

Getting over his embarrassment he looked away from the smiling redhead. His eyes slowly travelled up a nearby chimney deciding it suddenly looked incredibly interesting right about now. Eventually he looked up at the night sky and its twinkling stars. He got pulled from his thoughts and distracted staring moment by a hand being placed on his arm. "Yes, Fleurette?" Erik asked while turning to look at her. He looked down at her, he was a good head and a half taller than her which meant she had to crane her neck slightly to look at him. This was also the first time that he had said her name, Erik noted how it had a nice ring to it as he spoke it.

"Perhaps we should go back in."

"I thought you were enjoying yourself?" He asked with a light smirk, Fleurette shuddered and shook her head.

"I was until this horrid chill entered the air." She admitted while looking down at her feet, Erik nodded and walked silently towards the door. Fleurette walked quickly after him and shut the door after her when she reached the end of the stairs.

"You should get some rest. I believe you have a whole day of rehearsals tomorrow."

"Will you be watching?"

"Will you decline practising if I answer yes?" Erik asked while watching Fleurette skip lightly past him and down the corridor. There was not a soul in sight and if he didn't know any better he'd just believe it were the two of them in the whole building.

"No, I am just not used to dancing in front of someone who is seemingly invisible to everyone else." Fleurette said while jumping down the last two steps and walking towards the stage.

"You are not alone yet no one else questions it." Erik said while putting his hands in his black suit jacket. His words caused Fleurette to cease her movements and look over at him, or where she presumed he was. She was standing in the middle of the stage like she usually does and looked towards the shadows of the wings. Erik had not moved onto the stage and stayed where he was. He decided against telling Fleurette she was looking in the wrong direction. "You still cannot find me, little dancer."

"I can try though, can I not?" Fleurette asked with a smile. There was a challenge in her tone which caused him to sigh.

"I do not play childish games."

"Nor do I," Fleurette took a step forward. "But perhaps I will this once." She skipped forward a few steps and walked back to the wings. Erik easily shifted in the shadows and silently moved out of the way of her. She was so close to him yet she didn't even know it. Fleurette curiously continued on her way and walked around the backdrop, "You have gone haven't you?"

"No, I am still here." Erik said from right beside her. Fleurette jumped and looked up at him, she smiled and crossed her arms. "I will always be here." He looked to the side and frowned lightly. "I think you should retire, you do have a busy day tomorrow."

"You are right." Fleurette looked down at the floor, she took a step back from him and curtsied slowly. "Good night, Erik. It was good meeting you." Fleurette smiled and stood back straight she smiled at him one last time before turning on her heels and running up the stairs towards the dancer's quarters.

——

Fleurette and Eleanor sat with equal marvelled filled eyes. "It's so beautiful." Eleanor said while clasping her hands together. Fleurette leaned forward in the chair and stared up at the stage. Neither of them had heard Christine sing before. Both of them had pretty much the same reaction. Fleurette jumped when her sister clapped wildly from beside her, the blonde even rushed up to the stage and clutched onto Christine's hands. From her sitting position, Fleurette could easily hear her sister barraging Christine with praise and questions.

Standing up, Fleurette quickly walked to the stage and tugged her sister away from the slightly embarrassed looking brunette. "Eleanor, calm down!" She laughed, Eleanor shook her head and looked a little embarrassed by her moment. "That was indeed beautiful, Christine! I did not know you could sing like that." Fleurette smiled and looked to Eleanor who nodded agreeing with her one hundred percent.

"Christine has a mysterious tutor," Meg whispered in a childish tone. She smiled at the sisters who looked at each other confused and then at her. "What? She does!" Meg exclaimed incredulously like the sisters didn't believe her.

"We never said we didn't believe your words." Eleanor smiled, though her mind did go through the options of who was here could may pass as a good tutor. Wasn't like some performers were too forthcoming with help if it was needed, rather self-absorbed in their own world and bubble.

"We just think it's a little bizarre." Fleurette said while crossing her arms over her leotard and nodding slowly.

"Not to mention eerie." Eleanor said in a ghostly tone and clutched onto Fleurette quickly which made her yelp and jump.

"That's not fair!" Fleurette said while trying to wriggle out of her sister's clutches. Despite trying to be serious she was laughing too much, which in turn made her sister laugh as well as the other two women.

"Ladies behave," Madame Giry said while stopping instructing a set of dancers and looking at the four of them. "If you can have energy to joke around. Perhaps you can address the same energy to practising." It wasn't a statement it was an order.

"But mother, we're merely having a slight break and congratulating Christine on her wonderful singing!" Meg complained while setting her gaze on her mother.

Madame Giry did not look too amused and just raised an eyebrow. "You have all done that now come back here." The four of them looked at each other and walked quickly back to the small practising group of dancers. Getting into position they soon picked up which parts they were meant to be doing and soon the rehearsals were back on full force.

——

Reedited: 7/Jan/2022