31

"Fairs are horrid," Fleurette said, Meg looked up at her sceptically before smiling slowly.

"I enjoy fairs! I'm jealous you got to go to one."

Fleurette looked at her friend dumbly before slipping on her ballet shoes. "You could have taken my place." She whispered and brushed herself down once she stood back up again. Madame Giry appeared shortly before all the dancers and took to explaining the new show. Fleurette looked around and noticed how they were one short. This wedding was becoming a nuisance. Fleurette frowned lightly, was she jealous of a boring tradition which every girl and woman usually obsess about? "There's something wrong with me." Meg heard her this time and looked at her oddly. Fleurette's eyes stared straight ahead and then rolled to look at her.

"You're being silly today, Fleur!"

Funny? Fleurette thought over the word. She was being many things, jealous and dramatic were just two words of a few, but funny?

"Come on," Meg tugged her by the arm and proceeded to warm up. Fleurette stood blank faced for a second before joining in. In little less than ten minutes all the dancers were warmed up and ready for whatever routine was going to get thrown at them.

Reaching up and tying her hair up Fleurette raised an eyebrow when she got called to the side. "Your sister and you," Giry spoke quietly, she was trying to keep her voice as low as possible so the other dancers wouldn't hear. "Were booked to do a duet." Fleurette's eyes widened and she actually opened her mouth and shut it several times in shock. Giry just looked at her evenly. "But your sister is not here." Fleurette stopped doing her fish impression and frowned. "You are though." Yet again a look of shock spread on her face again.

"Erm...but...me on my own...without anyone is like..."

"A solo."

"Oh," Fleurette said breathlessly while stumbling a step back. "Me?" Giry nodded and jumped forward to catch Fleurette as she fainted. Honestly if Giry knew telling Fleurette this information would cause her to faint, then she would have told the young dancer to sit down.

Meg walked over was she managed to lay her down. "Is she all right?"

"She will be in several minutes, in the meantime, positions." Giry said sternly while giving the fainted form of Fleurette one last look before hitting her cane against the stage floor. The dancers leapt into positions and listened intently to her directions and to the routine which was being told to them.

——

Walking around the stage with her hands over her cheeks, Fleurette side stepped Erik when he appeared. He frowned confused and turned and looked at her. She continued seemingly mindlessly walking around in a state of shock. Intercepting her path, he put his hands on her shoulders and made her look up at him by placing a finger under her chin. "What are you doing?"

"I don't know." Erik looked at her deadpanned because of her answer. Fleurette looked around and then up at him.

Erik slowly leaned his head on top of hers when she wrapped her arms around his waist. "What's wrong?"

"The last two days have been strange." She leaned back and looked at him. "You may disagree but...you are the only thing which makes sense at the moment."

"Yes, I do disagree. But I will also ask you to explain your words." Erik smiled lightly and walked with her to the edge of the stage. The two of them sat down and she took to swinging her legs.

"Eleanor and I went out for the day."

"Really?" Erik did his best to look surprised, Fleurette seemed to buy his act because she smiled lightly and nodded confirming it all. "How was it?" She looked at him blankly, Erik frowned. "Not good I take it?"