21

Over the next few days Erik had seen very little of Fleurette. It pained him, it pained him more than he'd like to admit. Looking at the cream paper with the address on it, he frowned. Yes, he knew the building. It wasn't too far from the opera house. If anything it was more near Fleurette's home than the opera house. It didn't really reassure him that much that the words, masquerade don't forget, were written and underlined loads of times.

Clearly Lucien thought his daughters were forgetful, unlike him the two of them hadn't addled their brains with alcohol. Pocketing the paper, he stood up and walked over to the boat. Pushing it and jumping in, Erik easily manoeuvred it towards the other side. He was being serious to Fleurette when they last spoke. He could not be held responsible for his actions. Her father angered him. Charles infuriated him. Having the two of them together in one place was going to take all the self-control Erik had. Walking up into the walkways of the opera house, Erik leaned against the railing and looked over.

"So, when are you two going dress shopping?" Meg asked happily, Fleurette and Eleanor looked at each other and then at her.

Christine sat down next to the smiling blonde and looked at them too. "Are you excited?" She asked while leaning her head against her hand.

"No." Fleurette muttered and suffered confused looks from two of the three people in front of her.

"Fleurette doesn't really like dancing." Eleanor laughed and then shook her head. "Well not that sort of dancing. Ballet is one thing, ballroom dancing is another. It is a skill my sister has not yet acquired." Eleanor laughed and patted Fleurette on the shoulder.

"Not to mention trying to dance in those dresses." The redhead shuddered and shook her head. "It's a nightmare. I can picture it now."

"You are just being dramatic, the both of you!" Christine said while wagging a finger at them both. Eleanor sighed and Fleurette laid back against the stage. She shut her eyes and used her hands as a pillow. She seemed to completely blank out the conversation which the women beside her were having.

"I think green," Meg said while poking Fleurette in the arm. "Green suits you."

"I do like green."

"Red."

"I hate red." Fleurette muttered bitterly and frowned.

"But I think red would suit you." Christine went on further to say. Eleanor nodded seemingly agreeing with her. Yet Fleurette laid with a deep frown on her face, obviously highly disagreeing.

"What about you, Eleanor?" Meg asked, "What colour dress are you likely to get?" Erik had to admit as far as eavesdropping into conversations went, this conversation was very boring.

"Blue." Eleanor answered after thinking the question over for a few moments.

"What about masks? Oh, I'm so jealous! You two are going to have such fun." Meg whined and waved her hands in the air.

"I've not even thought about a mask!" Eleanor admitted. "The dresses sidetracked me." She smiled and watched Fleurette finally sit back up straight. "We are returning home tonight and going shopping tomorrow."

"It'll be very strange without you two here." Christine said while standing up and bidding them farewell. She disappeared up the stairs and out of sight.

"I'm still jealous."

"Did you want to go instead of me?" Fleurette asked Meg bluntly, Eleanor shook her head and stood up.

"Come, we must get going or else father will surely come here himself and collect us."

"We both don't want that do we?" Fleurette questioned, although her words weren't really spoken in a questioning tone.