23

Fleurette paused at her bedroom door looking at it. She stood still holding onto the glass of water, standing in silence she could confirm that there was no movements from within the room. Fleurette let out a sigh, she was happy to know that the likelihood of her walking in and seeing a burglar were slim to none. She frowned at that thought, there wasn't even anything in her room which would be considered valuable enough to steal. If anything her sister's room or perhaps her father's room housed valuables which would be valuable enough to sell on the markets.

Reaching out and putting her hand on the handle she turned and pushed the door open with her forefinger. She watched the dark wooden door swing open and all which greeted her was nothing. Her eyes skimmed over everything. Her bed was untouched and made just like she had left it. Her writing desk was still in tact with numerous books scattered on it. Everything seemed fine. Fleurette's eyes narrowed a fraction, however the more she looked the more she noted how there was one thing slightly out of place. It was the window. A part of the netting curtain was bunched up and shut underneath it.

The hair on the back of her neck stood up, yet against her better judgement she took a step forward and walked into her room. The trail red skirt flitted behind her as she walked slowly to the window. Putting the glass on her desk, she reached out and lifted the window up. She gave a natural shudder at the wind which drifted through the gap. Taking the netting curtain out from the window, she slowly shut it and put the curtain right. Reaching to the sides she then shut the actual curtains, their gold pattern had faded slightly from age.

Giving a slow nod Fleurette turned on her heels and then clasped a hand over her heart. Walking quickly, she shut the door and pointed a finger at the figure leaning against the wall next to the door frame. "You nearly gave me a heart attack!" She exclaimed in a whisper as she couldn't help but force her heart to calm down, she knew this intruder, if Erik could be called an intruder.

"I am sorry." Erik said simply and pushed his rain drenched hair out of his face. The weather, it could safely be said, had well and truly taken a turn for the worse. The gentle patter of rain which greeted them all when they left the ball had now turned into a torrential downpour.

"What are you doing here?" Fleurette asked quietly while turning and walking to the bathroom, returning a few seconds later she tiptoed and draped a towel on his head.

Erik peered out from underneath the warm white material and looked at her. She smiled and turned to her bed, sitting down she awaited for him to speak. "I didn't want to return back to the opera house."

"So, you thought you would come here?"

"Yes." Erik said while disappearing back under the towel and gently rubbing it to dry his hair. Fleurette let out a giggle, he frowned confused and looked back at her. "What is it?"

"Nothing," she said trying to still her laughter. "It is just how certain you were with your words. You do realise that Claudia was going to come up here when you knocked whatever it was over?" Fleurette paused, "You could have got caught." She patted her knees and slowly stood up, looking over her shoulder she raised an eyebrow. "What did you knock over?"

"I knocked things over on your desk." Erik said while folding the towel up and then holding onto it. "You seem to forget that I've made it my livelihood to be invisible to people. I am rather sure it would not be hard to go unnoticed by a servant."

"Your hiding place wasn't exactly the best one, Erik." Fleurette smiled and took the towel from his hand and walked over to the bathroom again. She reappeared a few seconds later and crossed her arms. "If I found you so easily, I am rather sure Claudia would have too. She's very good at finding people who hide. I remember when Eleanor and I were younger and played hide and seek." Fleurette spoke fondly while reaching up and taking pins out of her hair. "When our parents failed to find us she would." She nodded and shook her head when all the pins had been taking out. Tucking her hair behind her ears she sat back down on the edge of the bed. Erik walked over finally moving away from the wall and sitting down beside her. "Is the reason you gave earlier the only reason why you are here?"