46

Erik stood with a rather confused expression on his face. Fleurette had a thoughtful look however and picked up one dress, eyed it over then either put it in her little suitcase or put it back in her wardrobe. Fleurette was seemingly trying to figure out which dresses she preferred and which dresses she would rather take with her to America.

"Do you really need all of them?" Erik asked, he hadn't realised his question was a stupid one until Fleurette shot him a dumbfounded look. Erik looked at her confused, Fleurette rolled her eyes and didn't answer him.

However she did go back to scrutinising each and every dress and either packing it or putting it back into the piece of furniture behind her. "Eleanor offered to come help me, trust me if I had accepted her help it would be even worse."

"Do I dare to ask how?"

Fleurette folded up a blue dress carefully and tucked it into her case. "She usually has a habit of trying on the clothes she wishes to take with her. As such I believe she would do the same to me." Fleurette paused, "Oh, I don't know about this one, little flower, put it on and let's see." Fleurette mimicked Eleanor's voice quite brilliantly and then laughed over her impression.

Erik shook his head slowly, "So instead you turn out your wardrobe and filter through all your clothes."

"It's a lot easier."

"It's a lot messier you mean."

"Erik, it's my room."

"I actually took you for a tidy person you know? Now seeing all this, I am seriously reconsidering my earlier thoughts." Erik crossed his arms and leaned against the windowsill behind him. His words caused Fleurette to look down at herself and at the amount of clothes scattered around her.

"I'll tidy it all away and then you can just pretend you never saw me having an untidy moment." Fleurette smiled and picked up four dresses to hang back up, turning away from the wardrobe she continued packing.

Out of all the dresses Fleurette had turned out, she only ended up choosing five of them. She had briefly murmured about buying other dresses over there. Erik rolled his eyes, for someone who disliked dress shopping, she seemed rather up for it all of a sudden. Crouching down, Fleurette opened a trunk and pulled out her dancing things. Flinging pairs of old pointe shoes onto the bed she stood up and looked them over. She nodded slowly yet hesitantly, Fleurette thought they'd do until she could buy some new ones. All her new dancing clothes and shoes got burned.

"Done." She stated while pulling Erik out of his thoughts, his eyes slowly raised from the floor to look at her. Fleurette stood with a triumphant smile on her face. She seemed rather proud for packing her things.

"Just the one case?" Erik asked and earned himself and narrow eyed look from the woman standing on the other side of the bed.

"Oh be quiet, you! Only because you don't have to pack." Fleurette muttered and picked her case up, the bag she had packed in the opera house had got left behind in a panic to escape. Fleurette was seriously very annoyed at herself that she never took it with her when she was escaping the flames.

——

"I wonder what it'll be like over there." Fleurette said thoughtfully while opening her eyes and looking up at the ceiling. "Are you a little apprehensive, Erik? If only a little bit?"

"Not really." Erik answered while looking at her quickly, Fleurette fidgeted and held onto a cushion. The two of them were sitting on her bed looking mindlessly around the room. The day had progressed a little too quickly for Fleurette's liking.

At the moment it was about six o'clock, "What time do we have to leave to get down to the harbour?"

"Half past eight." Erik said simply, there was a quiet sigh from his side which caused him to look at her again. Fleurette was leaning her chin against the pillow, blinking she looked up at him sidewards. "Are you having second thoughts?" Erik asked as blankly as he could, he didn't want disappointment to creep into his voice. He would be so disappointed if Fleurette didn't come with him. The thought of setting up somewhere else with Madame Giry and Meg as his only source of company didn't sit well with him.

Fleurette sighed again and shut her eyes, shaking her head slowly she opened her eyes and looked at him. "No. I'm apprehensive, Erik. I just want to get going, sitting around and waiting is making it all seem so much worse. Not to mention so much more daunting." Fleurette answered while throwing the cushion so it landed at the end of the bed. She stared down at her hands and looked towards the door when there was a quiet knock. Moving off of the bed, Fleurette looked over her shoulder, Erik stood up slowly and decided to move to her side. When Fleurette opened the door he was shielded from view thanks to the angle of the door.

"You all packed, hm?"

"Said like that it makes it sound like you can't wait for me to leave."

"Oh, I don't mean it like that and you know it." Eleanor said while crossing her arms. "Are you two hungry?"

"I don't think I could eat." Fleurette admitted, Eleanor looked at her sadly and uncrossed her arms. Reaching out and putting her hands on her sisters shoulders, Eleanor pulled Fleurette close to herself. Erik quickly peered around the door to try and understand why an odd silence had suddenly appeared.

Eleanor opened her eyes and looked at him. "Why are you hiding behind the door, Erik?" Eleanor asked simply while he disappeared back around the door.

"We didn't know who was out here." Fleurette answered.

"Well it's only me here...and Claudia and Geoffrey, but I highly doubt those two will come and bother you."

"Where's Felix?"

"Work," Eleanor smiled and let her sister go. The two got caught in a stare off, they stared at each other calmly, Eleanor nodded slowly and put her hands on Fleurette's cheeks. Smiling happily she tapped her on the nose, Fleurette frowned and pulled away. "Heh," Eleanor laughed childishly. "I am going to miss you. It'll feel so strange without you here."

"As I already said; I'll write to you every day."

"You won't be able to write on a ship." Erik stated while getting suddenly involved in the conversation.

Fleurette ducked back into the room and looked around the door. "What's the form of communication on a ship then?"

"Telegram."

"Oh," Fleurette said and looked back at Eleanor, she smiled and stepped into the room. Shutting the door, Eleanor briefly looked up at Erik who was leaning against the wall with his arms loosely crossed. "In that case I'll send a telegram to you every day."

"Fleurette, we're not going to be on the ship for long."

"Erik! You're not helping!" Fleurette exclaimed and stomped a foot on the floor and turned to point a finger at him. "If anything you're confusing me slightly."

"Sorry."

Eleanor watched the two while sitting down on the bed, her eyes briefly looked at the small suitcase. Laughing quietly she waved off the glares shot in her direction.

"What's so funny?" Fleurette questioned.

"You two are funny to watch. I guess I am the only person to witness your little moments? They're cute! You two are so..." Eleanor rambled out, Fleurette and Erik exchanged a confused look and then looked back at the excitable blonde. Eleanor clapped her hands together and just sat there smiling.

——

Reedited: 31/Jan/2022