16

Erik had turned rather silent after that moment. So Fleurette picked up a book from a pile and flicked through it. Sitting down slowly on a pile of cushions, she opened it up and started reading. Fleurette turned the page and looked up when Erik had crouched down in front of her. He still looked a little confused. She tilted her head to the side and looked at him, the numerous candles down here made the light flicker in every which way. They caused an orange luminous glow to settle over them, yet made the shadows seem so much darker and thicker. From her sitting position the shadows gave Erik's white mask an eerie contrast. It also made it seem like there was no eye looking at her, but yet a dark empty space.

Shifting easily Erik sat down next to her and looked at the book she was reading. He nodded and looked up at the dark cavernous ceiling. "Yes." He said eventually, Fleurette looked at him with wide eyes. Tilting his head down to look at her, he nodded. "But if you tell anyone you come here, there will be consequences." Fleurette just sat with a smile on her face, Erik sighed. He highly doubted the woman beside him really took much note in his serious tone.

"Yay," she said quietly while snapping the book shut and fidgeting to kneel. "I promise I will be as secretive as I can be." Fleurette said honestly while reaching up to put the book back on top of the pile. Erik just looked at her and slowly nodded, he had no option but to really trust in her words. He watched as she jumped up and held her hands out to him. "Come on." Fleurette wriggled her hands out of the sleeves of the jacket and smiled. "Come on." She repeated while flexing her fingers. Erik raised an eyebrow and reached up and held onto her hands. He was a little surprised by the almighty pull which Fleurette gave to get him to his feet. For someone a lot smaller than himself she was surprisingly strong for her size.

Erik just looked at her confused as she pulled her arms out of the jacket and held it out to him. "What are you scheming?"

"Scheming? I am not scheming, do I look like the type to scheme?"

"Appearances can be so deceiving." He said while pulling the jacket on. The piece of clothing was still warm from being worn by the young woman in front of him.

"Hey! I am no schemer," Fleurette said in a matter of fact tone. She was trying to be serious but ended up laughing lightly and smiling. "Oh, fine, maybe I do plan some things ahead." She admitted and turned on her heels. Picking up her skirt slightly she walked quickly towards the boat and nodded at him. "Come on."

"May I inquire," Erik said while walking slowly up to where she was patiently standing. "Whatever it is you have planned in that head of yours, am I somehow involved?"

"Yes, but it's nothing bad!" Fleurette said while putting her hands together and looking at him with wide green eyes. "I promise you, it's nothing bad." She said while watching him jump into the boat. He turned and held his hands out to her, smiling and getting helped into the boat she sat down and looked over her shoulder. Erik's home disappeared into the eerie fog and soon all that was behind them was darkness.

Fleurette's eyes looked onward to the oncoming stone shore, even from here she could barely see the stairs which led up into the opera house. The small boat bumped against the stones and made her lurch forward in her seat slightly. Getting helped out of the boat, Fleurette walked quickly towards the stairs. She had to look over her shoulder to make sure Erik was walking behind her. He was so silent in his footsteps that the second it took her to stop and look at him, he nearly walked into her. This action caused him to narrow his eyes at her a fraction.

"Sorry," she smiled and walked up the stairs. The further she got to the end of the labyrinth of stairs and corridors the quieter she made her footsteps. Fleurette didn't know if there was anyone still up and about. But if there was, she didn't want them to spot her, or Erik. Peeking out from behind a backdrop, Fleurette could gladly say that everyone had gone home or retired to bed. "Wait here," she held her hands up at Erik who halted and looked at her with a really unamused look. He didn't quite like being kept in the dark about whatever it was Fleurette was planning.