Chapter 30

🦋edited🦋

At this moment it was 12:30pm in Boston, twelve hours ahead of domestic time. This  meant that it was 12:30 in the morning on Qiao Lan’s side of the word.

Qiao Lan finally got Tan Mo’s phone number a few hours ago, and after work was over, she dialed Tan Mo’s phone number on her boss’s phone.

It was a bit noisy at the other end of the phone, she didn;t know if Tan Mo had a cold or something, but his voice was a bit hoarse.

“Tan Mo, do you have a cold? Why is your voice a little bit hoarse?” Qiao Lan asked him. After a while, through the phone came an answer to her question, “No.”

Then there was nothing else.

If it wasn’t for the fact that Qiao Lan understood Tan Mo’s personality and knew that he was naturally this taciturn, this phone call would have a hard time continuing.

When she talked to Tan Mo, he would usually talk a lot about topics or books that he was particularly interested in. The rest of the time, especially during normal chatting, Tan Mo hardly said nothing. Unless it was asked of him he would never take the initiative to speak.

Qiao Lan checked and saw that this was a common problem in people with Asperger’s Syndrome, because they felt that daily chit-chatting was unnecessary.

Remembering this, Qiao Lan made a mental note to remind herself that after school started, she needed to find a way to change Tan Mo’s habit of not speaking, or how would he deal with others in the future when she couldn’t be there to help him. 

“Did something important happen for you to go to the US?” Qiao Lan glanced at the snowflakes floating outside. “Before, you had left so quickly that I didn’t have time to ask.”

The noise on the other side of the phone gradually disappeared, maybe it was because Tan Mo moved to another location, “Grandpa was sick.”

“Oh, I see,” Qiao Lan nodded, “No wonder you left so quickly. Is his illness better now?”

“He died the day before yesterday.”

Qiao Lan : “…I’m sorry” 

Tan Mo wanted to say that he wasn’t sad, and that there was no need to be sorry, but he didn’t say it.

Uncle Chen pushed him out of the hospital. After getting in the car, the surrounding area became quieter. Qiao Lan’s voice was clearer on the phone. Even Uncle Chen could hear her voice on the other end of the phone.

He just heard Tan Mo’s cold “died” and couldn’t help but cough. Tan Mo didn’t understand the complicated social twists and turns here. He was telling the truth, but it was really hard for someone to hear. Qiao Lan was stunned for several seconds. Only then did she quickly change the subject.

“You were in a hurry last time. You didn’t even finish the last exam, but despite that you were still number one.”

“Oh.” Tan Mo said. 

He is not very interested in the current conversation. He actually wanted to ask why Qiao Lan only called him now, instead of earlier. But Qiao Lan was talking, so Tan Mo obediently waited for her to finish.