Chapter 40

Later, Tan Mo came out of the bathroom and  changed his clothes, and the messy hair on his head was gone, and he had returned to the cold and delicate youth of the past.

Qiao Lan looked at Tan Mo’s neat and tidy hair, and for a moment she was a little disappointed.

Putting aside this and talking about the topic, the book on Asperger’s Syndrome that Qiao Lan had been reading recently, said that this symptom could not be cured and would never be cured, but it can be lessened through other methods. Patients with AS become closer to normal people when they are able to slowly come to understand other people’s facial expressions or body movements.

If one thought of this Syndrome as just a Syndrome that needed to be cured or fixed then undoubtedly it would be very heavy to think about. But if one changed their way of seeing it, such as taking the initiative to progressively communicate and teach the person with AS about expressions and whatnot, the task becomes much easier. 

The education of expressions and movements could be regarded as another language, something that would allow Tan Mo to better communicate and understand the world around him..

He doesn’t understand because he had never been taught, but if he learned slowly, someday he might be able to communicate normally.

Tan Mo didn’t know how Qiao Lan was going to teach him. He seemed to be very obedient and sat at the table, but in fact, his mind was a complete mess. 

Because Qiao Lan put her phone on the table when she went out, Tan Mo had seen the big AS on the top of the screen from the book that she was reading.

Seeing this, his whole body was frozen in place.

He didn’t know that Qiao Lan already knew that he was an AS patient, he hadn’t wanted her to know. Just like how he didn’t want Qiao Lan to see his weird legs and embarrassing scars.

But now, he suddenly discovered that Qiao Lan had already known about it a long time ago, but she never asked him about it, and kept this knowledge secret.

When did she find out? 

How did she find out? 

What did she think after finding out? 

Did she think he is weird? 

Did she think he was troublesome…?

Not even a minute had passed after Qiao Lan had left the table, but Tan Mo had no idea how many thoughts had flashed in his mind.

During this time Qiao Lan found a mirror from who knows where and then moved a chair to sit next to Tan Mo. Occasionally her arm would rub against arm from time to time, unlike when they wore school uniforms when they were sitting at the same table, the house was very warm, so Tan Mo felt Qiao Lan’s warm skin.

It was much warmer than his.

Qiao Lan put the mirror in front of Tan Mo, “Well, let’s learn from the most basic, that is, smiles. There are many kinds of smiles, a normal smile, a laugh, a wry smile, a sneer… There are so many, we’ll learn the simplest one today, the most basic smile, look at me!”

Tan Mo turned his head.

Ah, so close.

“No matter what kind of smile it is, the corners of the lips are generally raised. Some smiles have a larger arc and some are smaller. A smile is a common expression that everyone makes. In simple terms to smile is to curve your lips upwards by just a little. Understand that when I see a little it means that the arc of the smile is not large, so the curvature of the corners of the mouth is not very wide, just like what I am doing now.”