Chapter 5

Abby's POV

When we got home from visiting mum, Ashton and I went out for a walk around the neighborhood. We walked hand in hand down the block to the park. "What was your mum like?" Ashton asked after a minute or so of walking in silence. "What do you mean?" I asked. "What was she like as a person? Does she have any interesting stories connected to her?" He asked in response. "Oh, she was so kind! But she didn't take anything from anybody. If anyone said anything rude, she would deal with it in a calm and sweet way." I said. "She was so inspirational and she used to sing me to sleep, she could sing so well, but she rarely sang in public." I said.

"She wrote a song for Kalee and I for our birthday, the year we were separated from Kalee. The separation was the one time she didn't stay sweet. She blamed Kalee's disappearance on the drunk driver that hit the car. He was too drunk to realise that he didn't actually kill Kalee and my mum was so devastated that she screamed at him. She couldn't believe that Kalee was gone, and neither could I. I was scared, depressed, and had so many other emotions running through my mind."  I said.

"Then when mum passed, I wrote a song about her, I couldn't bottle up my emotions anymore. I used to sing it to her grave every time I visited, and I eventually had the lyrics engraved into the back of the headstone. It was expensive, yes, but worth it. I know the song by heart," I explained. "Can you sing me the song?" Ashton asked. "Sure, and it's called Butterfly, by the way" I said nervously. I hummed the tune quickly so I knew I would have it right before starting.

All credit for the amazing song below goes to @rialltoran and I find it beautiful so please read the lyrics!!

"They tear you down, with their hateful words,

They want to destroy, your beautiful world

But you don't care

You carry on, as if it doesn't bother you,

But when you're alone, you question if it's true,

Is what they say true?

Oh, oh, oh, Butterfly,

Spread your wings and fly, fly, fly,

Oh, oh, oh, Butterfly,

Fly across the sky, you fly so high

Their hateful words, can't reach you now,

For you are far above the ground,

Take a moment, to sit and breathe,

Because your wings, had set you free,

Oh, oh, oh, Butterfly,

Spread your wings, and fly, fly, fly

Oh, oh, oh, Butterfly,

Fly across the sky

Yes you fly so high

The rain will fall again someday,

And it won't always go your way,

But once the clouds have gone, and flown

They'll leave behind a rainbow

Oh, oh, oh, Butterfly

Spread your wings and fly, fly, fly

Oh, oh, oh, Butterfly

Fly across the sky

Yeah, you fly so high

Oh, oh, oh, Butterfly

You're my butterfly,"

I sang, keeping the tune. In reality, I needed an acoustic guitar, but I didn't have it with me. "That's beautiful, Abby," Ashton said when I was done. "You should add some instruments, probably acoustic, and perform it with your band," Ashton said. "Really?" I asked. "Well yeah! Only if you want to, though." Ashton said. "Okay, I will show it to them later!" I said, smiling. "I love you!" I said, giving Ashton a peck on the cheek. "I love you too, Abby! Never forget that," Ashton replied, kissing me back. "I won't, trust me," I replied, smiling as we got to the park.