The Spirit in the Old Chateau

After a few days of training, Ash and his pokemon finally feel ready to take on Brock. All 3 of Ash's Pokemon are now equipped with new moves. Beedrill has now replaced Leech Life or X-Scissor and most importantly, Pidgeotto and Pikachu have learnt Steel type moves, Steel Wing for the former and Iron Tail for the latter. However, with Ash advancing on his goal so quickly and determinedly, a person in the trio feels out of place. Ash steadily moving forward to become a pokemon master and Misty striving to enhance her water pokemon's abilities, Serena often felt she was holding them back.

Serena P.O.V.
The time was approximately 1 A.M. But how did that even matter. Sitting alone in a park in Pewter City, thinking about what to do now. Many times my mum had pressured me to think out what to do once I set out, and much to my regret, I never much attention to that. It must feel so amazing to know what you want to do and how excited you feel when you earn one stepping stone to that goal. I didn't know what to do and to be perfectly honest, didn't know if I ever will.

Ash himself was nervous but not to such an extent. But tonight was special, as tomorrow was the schedule date for his fateful rematch. Would all his training be worth it? However, Brock's scoffs and taunts still haunted him. Almost as if being scolded by your older when you knew he was right. He himself had come outside to reflect his own feelings, something which he rarely did before, leaving Misty and Pikachu snoozing alone in the Pokemon Centre.

I was staring into the stars when I was startled by a presence entering the park. I stiffened at the thought who would come here at this time of night. The figure edged closer and I got another shock at seeing raven black spiky here on that person.

"Ash? What are you doing here?" I asked, surprised.
"I could ask the same for you," he replied. "Basically, I was not getting any sleep so I just went outside for a breath of fresh air."
"You know that's a lie," I said, looking at him closely.
"No it isn't," he said.
"Yes, it is," I replied.
"Why do you think it is!" he persisted.
"You're holding your hands behind your back," I said. "You always do that when you lie. And you are terrible at lying."

"Of course you remember that," said Ash, giving up. "Yes, something is wrong."
"So tell me," I said.
"I was just worried about my battle against Brock. I don't think if I can beat him, or even give my pokemon a fighting chance. I feel afraid I will just end up hurting them and I'd hate that."

"Who said that?" I said. "Your pokemon trust you. That's why they have been training so enthusiastically the last few days. Even if you do lose, your pokemon will always stay by your side. Your friends will stay by your side. Don't think about things like this."
"You really think so?" asked Ash.
"No doubt about it," I continued. "All 3 of your pokemon, Pikachu especially want to win against so very badly. You'll hurt your pokemon if you DON'T do the gym battle and chicken out."

"Thank you Serena!" he said excitedly. "You always know what to do and make others feel better. You're the best."
I smiled at that remark but inside I felt my old worries creeping back. I don't know what to do, contrary to what Ash said. I then looked up at the sky, giving out a huge sigh.

"Something is worrying you," said Ash. "What is it?"
"Nothing is worrying me," I said, sighing again. "It's just your imagination."
"I see," he said. "I guess you just sighing again and again is just a coincidence and not you lying."
"Huh?" I said, surprised.
"You always sigh when you are really worried about something and since you are doing it a lot, I expect its pretty bad."

"Alright it is," I said, giving in to them determined raven haired boy. "It's just that....I don't know what I want to do."
"What do you mean exactly?" asked Ash
"I don't have a goal yet," she said.
"Is it really that bad," he asked.

"Yes it is! I feel left behind, to be perfectly honest. Look at you and Gary! Gary has 2 badges as well as 13 pokemon while you, although not having any badges, you still are far ahead of me in almost every single way, having more pokemon than me. I don't want to be a hindrance to you and Misty, both of you making rapid strides in your respective goals. I want to do something and show everyone that I am worth something too!"