Chapter Twenty Two

The rest of the weekend drifted by quite slow. Sunday morning, everyone in Slytherin woke up with intense headaches from staying up late and drinking butterbeer. Apparently Professor Snape shut down the party at around eleven, but the students continued to party with their friends in the dormitories.

I actually feel badly for Harry. All of the students have been giving him the cold shoulder because of his drawing in the tournament. The Hufflepuffs are especially cold towards him, because many people think he intentionally tried to steal the spotlight away from Cedric. I haven't gotten the opportunity to talk with Cedric since Saturday, so I truly have no idea how he feels about a second Hogwarts champion.

It was time for Care of Magical Creatures. This is the first time the Slytherins will be seeing Harry since Saturday, and I just know something will happen in the class, especially with Hagrid as the Professor.

I arrive slightly late with the other Slytherins, which isn't anything new since the Slytherins always show up late to Hagrid's class. Draco immediately approaches Harry, followed by Crabbe and Goyle.

"Ah, look boys, it's the champion," He sneers the moment he gets within an ear shot of Harry. "Got your autograph books? Better get a signature now, because I doubt he's going to be around much longer ... half of the Triwizard champions have died. How long do you reckon you're going to last, Potter? Ten minutes into the first task is my bet."

Before Harry can retort with a clever response, Hagrid emerges from his hut. Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle immediately retreat back to where the rest of the Slytherins stand, still glaring profusely at Harry.

Hagrid holds a single, large Blast-Ended Skrewt. At first, I assume he had just used a spell to enlarge it, but he quickly explains to the class that they had all eaten each other due to pent up energy. Hagrid tells us that we need to put our skrewts on a leash and take it for a walk.

"Take this thing for a walk?" I ask, confused. "And where exactly are we supposed to fix the leash? Around the string, the blasted end, or the sucker?"

"Roun' the middle," Hagrid says, demonstrating. "Yeh might want ter put on yer dragon hide gloves, jus' as an extra precaution. Harry — you come here an' help me with this big one ..."

The Slytherins stare at the skrewts in disgust, myself including. I'm the first to pick one of the repulsive little creatures up and wrap a leash around its middle. The class scatters and attempts to walk with the skrewts on their leashes — they are about three feet long and extraordinarily heavy.

"This wretched creature is going to kill me! My father will hear about this!" Draco complains to Goyle, just seconds before I get dragged across the area by one of the foul little skrewts.

******

On my way to Potions the next day, I find Cedric signing a sixth year's school books in one of the corridors. The girl squeals whilst clutching her book, before running off in the opposite direction.

"So, you're famous now?" I ask him with an eyebrow raised, joining in step with him.

Cedric laughs. "I suppose I am. Would you like an autograph as well?" He asks me playfully.

"Hmm.. perhaps after you win the tournament I'll ask for one," I tell him earnestly.

"Of course. Where are you off to now, anyways?" Cedric asks me, tucking the quill he used to sign the girl's books into the pocket of his robes.

"Double Potions with Snape. That class will be the death of me," I groan as we approach the door to the classroom. Cedric and I hang around the doorway, relishing the moments we have together before it's time for the class to begin.