Chapter Sixty One

"This is bizarre!" Ron yells from midair, clinging onto his thestral tightly. I can't imagine how it feels to be flying from this height with no visible means of support. By now, the sun has faded into a deep dusk.

I groan in pain again. I haven't hurt this much since the night that Mr. Weasley had gotten attacked.

"Are you okay?" Harry yells from behind me.

"I'm fine!" I assure him, yelling back.

The thestrals land and we all sprint to the Ministry without a word. Luna reaches the box first and dials the given code, six two four four two.

"Visitors, please take badges and attach them to your robes," The automated voice says. I reach for the collection of badges created for us — Harry Potter Rescue Mission. My stomach churns as the door opens and lets us through.

"The Ministry of Magic wishes you a pleasant evening," The automated voice says as we enter through the large doors.

"C'mon!" Harry calls nervously as we reach the Department of Mysteries. "Let's go. . . maybe two of you should stay out here as a lookout —"

"And how're we going to let you know something's coming?" Ginny asks, raising her eyebrows. "You could be miles away!" She exclaims.

"We're coming with you, Harry," Neville says.

"Let's just go on with it," Ron says firmly.

The seven of us enter a large, circular room. Everything in here is black, including the ceilings and roofs. Identical, unmarked, handleless doors are set at intervals around the black walls.

"Someone shut the door," I whisper.

Neville shuts the door, eliminating any source of light from the room. The blue flames around the room blue to resemble neon lines as the wall speeds around and then abruptly stops.

"What was that about?" Ron whispers.

"I think it was to stop us knowing which door we came from," Ginny says to her brother in a hushed voice. I realize that she is right.

"We won't need to get out until we find Sirius —"

"Don't go calling for him though!" Hermione hisses urgently. Harry and I nod, knowing to be as quiet as we possibly can.

"Let's try a few doors. I'll know the way when I see it," I tell the six of them.

"Wait!" Hermione says. "Flaggrate!"

She draws her wand in midair and a fiery X appears on the door. A short rumble occurs before the wall spins around again, with a red-gold blur against the normally blue flames. When it comes to a stop, the fiery X still burned, showing the door we had just tried.

"Good thinking, Hermione," I compliment her.

Harry approaches a random door and jiggles the knob. "It's locked . . ."

"It has to be it then, right? It's bound to be!" Ron says excitedly, joining Harry in an attempt to force open the large door.

"Get our of the way!" Hermione yells. "Alohomora!"

Nothing happens.

"Sirius' knife!" Harry yells. He pulls a knife from his robes and runs it from the top of the door to the bottom, withdraws it, and flings himself at the door.

My attention diverts to a different door. Gingerly, I open it and I immediately recognize the diamond lights from my vision. "Guys, this is it!"

"Look how beautiful . . .," Ginny trails off whilst admiring the flashy surroundings.