Chapter Seventy Six

The freshly fallen snow covers the campus of Hogwarts in a brisk layer of white. Even from inside the comforts of the Slytherin Common Room, the scenery outside reminds me of the approaching Christmas holiday. I lean further against the couch, feeling warmed by the crackling fireplace.

I wasn't particularly excited for Christmas this year for a number of reasons — I still am not on speaking terms with Harry, Ron, or Hermione, my parents are making me return to Malfoy Manor for the holidays, and Draco and I can no longer work on the Vanishing Cabinet.

Alas, I am trying to keep my hopes high. This is my first Christmas, or holiday at all, where I'm in a relationship. And I get to spend the holidays with him — the boy I love. Except, I still haven't really told him that I love him yet.

"Amelia!" A familiar face calls, snapping me out of my longing thoughts. I look up from the couch to see Blaise Zabini standing in front of me, looking down at me with a confident expression.

"Hey Blaise — what's up?" I ask curiously. Ever since I've been distancing myself from Quidditch, the two of us haven't had a real conversation. We're still friendly with each other obviously, but the friendship has been strained and it is my fault.

"Are you attending Slughorn's party tonight? You are invited, you know, even though you've stopped showing up to the club meetings," Zabini informs me, sitting next to me. "You can bring a guest too. Perhaps you and Draco would like to keep Daphne and I company."

"Do you reckon I'm even invited?" I ask skeptically. "I mean, I only see him in Potions class and around the castle every so often. Why wouldn't he have asked me himself?"

"I don't know," Zabini says shrugging. "But you should definitely attend. Don't leave me and Daphne alone with everyone, Amelia," He begs.

"All right, I'll attend," I say hesitantly. "I don't even have a dress or anything," I confess, biting my lip and feeling more anxious with every second. Zabini smiles instantly after I promise to go.

"Well, I'll see you tonight then," He says contently, standing up from the couch and disappearing into the boy's dormitory. My mind trails back to just seconds ago when he told me I could bring a guest. I wonder if I'd be allowed to take Draco . . .? I mean, his father is an infamous Death Eater, which is why Slughorn doesn't approve of him, but if I can truly take anyone there shouldn't be a problem with Draco attending as my guest.

Smiling to myself, I stand up and enter the boy's dormitory with newfound confidence. It'd be odd if I didn't take my own boyfriend, Professor Slughorn shouldn't have any problem with it.

"Hey Draco," I say, thankful to be finding him alone and doing his homework on his bed. He looks up at me, waiting for me to continue with what I was saying. "How would you like to come with me to Slughorn's party tonight?"

Draco raises his eyebrows, looking genuinely confused. "Tonight? This is our last day before we return to the Manor. He's going to be furious with us if we haven't made progress on the Cabinet, don't you understand that Amelia?"

"I promise you we aren't going to fix it in one night. Let yourself have fun for one night, please?" I beg, widening my eyes and pouting my lip in order to make him feel guilty. No emotions cross his face but I can tell that he's seriously considering it.

"I don't understand how you're so unafraid of him," He whispers, refusing to look me in the face. I bite the inside of my cheek to hide my disappointment. He doesn't want to attend with me.

"So it's a no?" I ask dejectedly, hoping that he'll change his mind in the next ten seconds. I know deep down inside he would love to come with me, but his fear and fragility is getting the best of him.