Chapter Forty Four

The next week at the Malfoys was tolerable. Lucius and my father never seemed to be home, for whatever reason. Draco and I spoke to each other occasionally, since our parents seemed to be ignoring us and too busy with other things. Lucius and my father would have their friends over some nights, and I would hide in my room the entire time.

Eventually, I found myself with Draco at King's Cross Station. Our parents were too busy to send us off to Hogwarts, so we made a mutual unspoken agreement to tolerate each other for the day.

"I'm a Prefect this year," Draco tells me. "And you are too," He adds, not even bothering to glance at me whilst he's talking to me.

"What do you mean —?" I ask, confused.

"Mum received the letter when you were in the States with your boyfriend. She told me to tell you once you've returned, but I forgot," Draco says.

I roll my eyes. I know I'm supposed to be nice to him today, but how could he forget I've been made Prefect?

The Hogwarts Express arrives moments are Draco's comment. He carries both of our trunks onto the train and puts them away before the two of us head into the Prefect carriage.

The other Prefects were already seated when Draco and I arrived. Hermione and Ron were Prefects for Gryffindor (I'm quite surprised Dumbledore didn't appoint Harry for the position), Hannah Abbott and Ernie Macmillan were there for Hufflepuff, and Padma Patil and Anthony Goldstein were there for Ravenclaw.

Draco and I sit down, with me next to Hermione, whilst the other Prefects seem to be glaring at us. Draco holds his head high, ignoring the cold looks, while I unintentionally hang my head in shame. Shame to be a Slytherin, shame to be associated with the 'evil' house.

The Prefects and I sit in the compartment for about an hour, where we are instructed about our new privileges. We must patrol corridors and give out punishments when people misbehave. Draco has a mischievous glint in his eyes when that part is mentioned.

After the meeting, we return to our original compartments. I wish Hermione and Ron to give Harry my greetings, as I opt to sit with the Slytherin girls and catch up with them.

The rest of the train ride is quaint, until the end when we are all headed off. Unfortunately, I wind up right behind Draco and his two goons, who are harassing Harry, Ron, and Hermione about something ridiculously stupid.

"What?" Harry says aggressively, before Draco can even utter a word to him.

"Manners, Potter, or I'll have to give you a detention," Draco drawls, smirking. "You see, I, unlike you, have been made a Prefect, which means that I, unlike you, have the power to hand out punishments."

"Yeah but you, unlike me, are a git so get out and leave us alone," Harry retorts. Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville and I all snicker at this.

"Tell me, how does it feel being second best to Weasley?" Draco asks, his lip curled.

"Shut up, Malfoy," Hermione snaps.

"I seem to have touched a nerve. Well just watch yourself, Potter, because I'll be dogging your footsteps in case you step out line," He smirks.

"Get out!" Ron says, standing up.

I grab Draco's and Crabbe's arms, dragging the two of them out with Goyle following like an obedient dog. "You three are such gits, you know that?" I snap angrily. "You know what, nevermind, let's just change into our robes," I say.

Daphne, Pansy, Millicent, Blair and I all change in the washroom into our robes. "Now that the boys are gone — Blaise and I had sex this Summer!" She says, giggling hysterically.

"Er — congratulations?" Blair asks. "Hey, Pansy, didn't you and Malfoy have sex as well?"

Pansy rolls her eyes. "Not yet. He said it didn't feel right. So we're waiting for it to be special," She says, giving Daphne a dirty look. I'm sure Pansy felt jealous that Daphne had had sex before she did.

"You're so lucky you're a Prefect, Amelia," Daphne says, changing the subject after noticing the heavy tension. "I've always wanted to be a Prefect," She tells me, with a casual smile.

I shrug. "It really isn't anything that special," I assure her. "You aren't missing out."

Pansy glares at me. "You're always bragging about something, Amelia. It's quite annoying. I'm a Prefect! I'm American! I'm friends with everyone!" She says, imitating me with a shrill voice.

"I don't talk like that," I tell her, sliding on my Slytherin robes and changing out of my streetwear.

"You don't have to be so jealous, Pansy," Blair snaps. "It really isn't a good look on you," She adds.

I smile at Blair for standing up for me, and she returns the smile. We all finish putting on our robes in silence before exiting the washroom.

The five of us reunite with Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, and Zabini. Draco brags mercilessly about how he nearly gave a group of first years detention.

"Draco, you're abusing your privileges already," I tell him, rolling my eyes. "You've only had your badge for three minutes!" I exclaim.

Draco puts his hands up in surrender. "I didn't actually give them detention, Grey, lighten up."

"Whatever," I say, turning back around and noticing a large number of horse-like creatures that look somewhat reptilian. They were fleshless with black coats, with leathery wings on either side of them. "What are those things?" I ask, wrinkling my nose.

"What things?" Millicent asks.

"Right over there. Those horse things, the ones pulling the carriages," I tell the group.

"What on Earth are you going on about, Grey? There's nothing there," Draco says, rolling his eyes.

"Are you mad? Right over there!" I say, pointing directly at the horse-like creatures.

"Er — Amelia, there's nothing there," Blair says curtly. "Are you sure you're feeling alright?"

Draco rolls his eyes at me. "Maybe you're the mad one," He says, climbing into one of the carriages.

I hop into the carriage alongside Draco, feeling as if I had gone crazy.

Hi!! So tomorrow (well technically today since it's 12:30 am) is Friday so I will probably not be uploading as much as I normally do! I'll try to upload 3 chapters!

IVE WRITTEN 44 CHAPTERS IN 8 DAYS LORD HELP ME

QOTC: What are you being for Halloween?