Chapter Seventy Eight

Apparition Lessons
If you are seventeen years of age or will turn seventeen on or before the thirty first of August, you are eligible for a twelve-week course on Apparition. Lessons from a Ministry of Magic Apparition instructor. Please sign below if you would like to participate. Cost: 12 Galleons.

"So, Apparition?" I ask Draco as the two of us glance at the sign posted on the Slytherin Common Room's notice board. Several other sixth and seventh years read the board excitedly, ready to begin apparating.

"We'll both be seventeen before then. Perhaps, if we can finish our task in time . . . we can talk later, it's time for Potions," Draco responds absentmindedly, trailing out of the dungeons and towards the Professor Slughorn's classroom.

Draco and I have continued to work on the Cabinet everyday. Ever since the incident at Slughorn's party, we've appointed Crabbe and Goyle as lookout. They are quite mindless, but they are always ready to alert us of possible danger.

"We have lot to discuss this afternoon!" Professor Slughorn announces as Draco and I walk in a few minutes late, but he doesn't say anything about it. "Golpalott's Third Law . . . who can tell me-? Miss Granger of course can!"

"Golpalott's Third Law states that the antidote for a blended poison will be equal to more than the sum of the antidotes for each of the separate components," Hermione says at rapid fire, looking thoroughly pleased with herself. No one else in the class seems impressed, as we are all used to her over-studying antics.

"I want each of you to come and take one of these phials from my desk. You are to create an antidote for the poison within it before the end of the lesson. Good luck and don't forget your protective gloves!" Slughorn announces, gleaming at Harry specifically. Miraculously, Harry has tremendously improved from last year to this year in Potions.

Draco and I both make halfway complete antidotes just as Professor Slughorn calls for time. Nobody, not even Hermione, had finished their antidotes.

"You're most certainly on the right track, Miss Grey," Slughorn muses as he glides past the Slytherins.

"And you, Harry? What have you got to show me?" He asks the second he reaches the Gryffindors. Harry holds out a bezoar, which is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat.

"You've got nerve, boy! A bezoar would certainly act as an antidote to all of these potions!" Slughorn says,  exploding in vicious laughter. Hermione looks livid, but Draco looks possibly even angrier.

******

As February arrived, our first Apparition lessons took place in the Great Hall. The Heads of Houses were already there as well as a small wizard from the Ministry of Magic. The Slytherins and I all assemble by Professor Snape.

"Good morning. My name is Wilkie Twycross and I shall be your Ministry Apparition instructor for the next twelve weeks. I hope to be able to prepare you for your Apparition Tests in this time —"

"We should be working on it right now," Draco whispers to me in an incredibly low voice. "We shouldn't have even signed up for this."

"Would you quit being so negative? Last time you tried to work on it with an event going on, you nearly got yourself exposed!" I whisper back just as quietly.

"But the Dark Lord —"

"Malfoy, be quiet and pay attention!" Professor McGonagall snaps angrily as the two of us flush a full pink color. Everyone looks at us and we both step away from each other.