Chapter Sixty Seven

A few days before we were set to leave for Hogwarts, Draco and I take a trip to Knockturn Alley. I've never gone to Knockturn Alley, but it was a shady side street devoted to the Dark Arts.

"C'mon!" Draco whispers, grabbing my arm. "Before anyone sees us!"

He pulls me into Knockturn Alley and the aura of the place is dark and gloomy already. "Where are we even going?" I ask him curiously, already wanting to get out of this wretched place.

"Borgin and Burkes," Draco informs me. "I need to speak to Mr. Borgin about the Vanishing Cabinet."

"The Vanishing Cabinet? Are you —"

"Just leave it to me, Amelia," He tells me seriously. I know he's dead serious when he uses my first name.

The two of us hurriedly enters the shop, which is unsurprisingly deserted.

"Colloportus!" I mutter, drawing my wand and sealing the door shut behind me. The clever spell I had learned from Hermione in the Department of Mysteries had become more and more useful to me.

"Draco Malfoy! To what do I owe the pleasure?" Mr. Borgin greets formally, exiting his position as cashier and approaching the two of us.

"Ah — and who are you?" He asks me once I join Draco's side.

"This is my girlfriend, Amelia Grey," Draco says smoothly before I can answer the man myself. My eyes widen in surprise. Draco has never addressed me as his girlfriend before.

"Oh, what a lovely young couple. What can I help you with today?" He asks us.

"I'd like to reserve your Vanishing Cabinet," Draco says seriously. "And I also request instructions on the Vanishing Cabinet in Hogwarts. . . do you know how to fix it?"

"Possibly," Mr. Borgin responds in a tone that suggests he is unwilling to commit himself. "I'll need to see it, though. Why don't you bring it into the shop?"

"I can't. It's got to stay put. I just need you to tell me how to do it," Draco responds. Although anyone who knows him may think his voice is confident and assured, I can tell he is nervous on the inside.

Borgin licks his lips. "Well without seeing it, I must say it will be a very difficult job, perhaps impossible. I couldn't guarantee anything."

"No?" Draco sneers. "Perhaps this will make you more confident," He says, beginning to roll up his sleeve.

"Draco, no! You can't!" I hiss, pulling his arm down.

It's too late. Draco reveals his Dark Mark with a sinister smirk to the frightened Mr. Borgin.

"Tell anyone," He orders fiercely, "and there will be retribution. You know Fenir Greyback? He's a family friend. He'll be dropping in from time to time to make sure you're giving the problem your full attention," He says smoothly, fixing his sleeve so that the Dark Mark is covered completely.

"There will be no need for —" Borgin stutters.

"I'll decide that," Draco says commandingly. "Well, we'd better be off. And don't forget to keep that one safe, I'll need it," He adds, gesturing to the cabinet. Draco laces his fingers in mine, holding onto me tightly as if he doesn't know when he'll be able to touch me next.

"Perhaps you'd like to take it now?" Borgin offers a little too generously. Draco has successfully intimidated the old man.

"No, of course I wouldn't, you stupid little man, how would I look carrying that down the street? Just don't sell it," Draco snaps rudely. His eyes trail to the cabinet worriedly.

"Of course not . . . sir," Borgin says quietly, bowing down to the two of us as if we were the evil Lord Voldemort himself. I mean, I suppose we aren't far from the title. The feeling of being superior to an adult didn't give me a sense of power, however — it terrified me.

"Not a word to anyone, Borgin. And that includes my mother. Do you understand?" Draco hisses.

Poor Narcissa has no idea about our mission requested by Lord Voldemort. She would be heartbroken to know that her son and his fiancé got themselves into this mess.

"Naturally, naturally."

The two of us exit the shop, thankfully no one is in sight. However, I glance at the ground for a second and I see the tips of a familiar pair of beaten up shoes sticking out of an invisibility cloak.

I only know one person who has an invisibility cloak. Harry, Ron, and Hermione must be here right now. And if my suspicions are right, they used Extendable Ears to hear our conversation. I just hope that they didn't hear anything revealing.

"Draco," I whisper once we get far enough away from Borgin and Burkes. I know for sure that we are too far away from the Extendable Ears for it to pick up our conversation now.

"What is it, love?" He asks.

I ignore the butterflies in my stomach that arise when he calls me that name. Love.

"Harry, Ron, and Hermione are here. I think they were listening to our conversation with Borgin."

"How can you be sure of that?" He asks quietly, careful not to attract any unwanted listeners.

"Er — I saw shoes out of an invisibility cloak. Harry Potter is the only wizard I know who possesses one. And he must have been with Ron and Hermione, those three are always together," I say.

"Well, how would they be able to listen to our conversation?" Draco asks.

"Fred and George invented a creation called Extendable Ears," I explain quickly. "When used, you can hear any conversation unless the door is Imperturbable," I say.

Draco furrows his eyebrows. "Do not say a word about our task to anyone, except each other. And from now on, do not speak about it unless the Imperturbable Charm is used."

I nod obediently. "Yes, Draco."

The two of us exit Knockturn Alley.

To any normal wizard, we were just a happy couple strolling through the bustling streets. Little do they know about the tremendously horrific task asked of us to perform.

—-

Me: Hey guys I'm taking a 3 day break
Also me: *publishes new chapter half hour later*

YALL ITS 12Am ON A SCHOOL NIGHT I NEVER DO THIS GN STREAKS