Chapter Ninety Nine

The following week, after another meeting of Dumbledore's Army, my trio meets with Ginny, Neville, and Luna in the Room of Requirement. The six of us have come to realization that we cannot meet anywhere else due to the fact that Slytherins and Gryffindors (well, two Gryffindors and one Ravenclaw) don't mix.

"Amelia, you're phenomenal with jinxes," Luna says earnestly. "I never knew of your ability."

"Thanks," I blush awkwardly. "I didn't really know about it until recently, and it only came into effect a few months ago once I turned seventeen."

"I have a plan," Ginny announces. "I've been in brief contact with my brother. He tells me that they're collecting Horcruxes. They need Godric Gryffindor's sword to destroy them."

"Where is this sword you speak of?" Grayson asks.

"It's in Headmaster Dumbledore's office — well, I guess Headmaster Snape's now. It's hanging up right there, practically in plain sight," Neville responds.

"You don't think that's a bit odd—? A prestigious heirloom just there? I mean, anyone could steal it if they tried. I'd assume something that valuable would be hidden to the world," I tell them quietly.

"What other choice do we have?" Ginny protests. "Dumbledore didn't anticipate his death, the sword is obviously still in his office."

I bite my lip. "I think he anticipated his death. After all, his will to Harry, Ron, and Hermione was so complex and well thought out."

"You're just saying that because you're the one who nearly killed him!" Ginny fires back. Her face burns red immediately after realizing what she had said. "Er— sorry, Amelia."

"Better than opening the Chamber of Secrets," I mutter under my breath so quietly that no one can hear me. I know she didn't mean it, but it still stings a little. She's right though — I did nearly kill him. I was supposed to kill him.

"I think Amelia does have a point, though," Francesca muses. "Dumbledore seemed like a smart man. I'm sure he wouldn't put it out on display for everyone to see, especially if he knows that many people will be seeking it."

"He left it for Harry in his will," Ginny explains. "He probably thinks that Harry has it now."

"I say we go for it," Grayson says. "We really have nothing else to work with, what's the worst that can happen?"

"I agree," Luna says, her blue eyes twinkling.

"Alright, then we'll retrieve the sword," I agree, conforming with the majority. "But how will we get it to Harry?"

"We can figure that out later," Neville says. "Perhaps your parents or someone in the Order knows where he is," He tells Ginny who nods.

"How about Amelia and Ginny go fetch the sword, and the rest of us distract Professor Snape," Grayson suggests, looking at me with wide eyes.

I nod. "That sounds okay."

"We can meet here at midnight?" Francesca asks.

The six of us nod in agreement and smile softly. Perhaps we can be able to help the Order.

******

Francesca, Grayson, and I sneakily exit the Slytherin common room later that night. My heart beats in anticipated nervousness. I feel as if I might die. It doesn't help that if we do get caught, it's going to be extremely hard to explain why three prejudiced Slytherins would be helping Gryffindors out.

"I'm going to go with Neville to the East Wing," Francesca says, breathing heavily.

Grayson nods. "I'll join Luna at the West. Are you sure that you and Ginny can do this by yourselves, Amelia?" He asks, turning to me.

"I guess we'll find out tonight," I say breathlessly. "Remember what we agreed on? The code in case someone comes down?"

"How could I forget? Butterbeer," Francesca says.

"Perfect," I exclaim, a small smile developing on my face. "You two go ahead. I'm going to Headmaster Snape's office now — Ginny said the sword should be hanging up, it shouldn't take long to find."

The three of us diverge, and I meet up with Ginny outside of Headmaster Snape's office. The corridor is eerily quiet as the two of us creep inside in the silence.

"Look!" Ginny whispers. "There!"

Hanging on the wall in plain sight is the sword of Godric Gryffindor, looking magnificent in plain sight. The sword was elongated and shiny and gave off the illusion that it had never been touched before. Still, something felt strangely wrong. Would Snape really be that stupid to leave something so valuable in such plain sight?

"I could really use some BUTTERBEER right now," Neville's shaky voice ricochets from outside of the door. Ginny and I exchange a nervous look.

"Get out," She whispers to me.

"But —"

"You're a Slytherin! Get out before you ruin this for yourself, Amelia," Ginny hisses, practically pushing me out the door. I widen my eyes and run away as I see Snape turn the corner.

"And what do we have here Mr. Longbottom?" Snape's protruding voice asks loudly.

"Damn, we nearly got caught with 'em," Francesca pants, a line of sweat on her hairline. "I'll fetch Grayson and Luna, they're probably still in the West Wing . . ."

"Francesca, thank you for agreeing to help," I say sheepishly. "I really appreciate everything. I mean, you're practically risking your life again to —"

"You don't have to thank me for doing the right thing," Francesca says earnestly.

"Snape nearly caught me!" Grayson says, running up us tiredly. "I was going to take the fall for Luna, but the lunatic locked me in a closet so that I couldn't be there when Snape caught us! It was kind of brilliant, but I should have gotten in trouble also!"

"I hate to say it, but it would have been really bad if we got into trouble. We are supposed to be stuck up Slytherins, not reckless Gryffindors," I tell my two friends as we approach the Slytherin Common Room.

"I'm still surprised you are technically one of them," Grayson whispers to me. "Aren't you Slytherin?"

I nod. "I am," I say awkwardly.

I don't want to tell him what I'm truly thinking. I am a Slytherin, but that isn't a bad thing.

In fact, I'm proud to be one.

—-
IM SO SORRY FOR NOT WRITING IN THREE DAYS.

I'm back <3

Also the Presidential Election is tomorrow — good luck America :)