Chapter Ninety Seven

The rest of the week passes by quite uneventfully. I've sort of strayed away from Draco, knowing that he's certainly suspicious of me. It's nice in a bit of a messed up way, I can admire him from afar and watch over him.

Eventually, Friday rolls around and I force Francesca and Grayson to come to the Room of Requirement. I truly have no idea what cover story Ginny used to explain why three Slytherins are here, but no one seems bothered at our presence.

There were quite a lot of students present. In Gryffindor, there was Neville, Ginny, Dean, Seamus, Parvati, Lavender, and some other students in Ginny's year. In Hufflepuff, there was Hannah Abbott, Ernie Macmillan, Zacharias Smith and a few others. Ravenclaw held Luna Lovegood, Terry Boot, Anthony Goldstein, Michael Corner and a few others.

Slytherin has just me, Francesca, and Grayson. And we aren't even really in Slytherin. Well, I am technically, but they are not.

"I think it's best we learn how to conjure a Patronus," Neville says to the group.

"We learned that in third year," Terry Boot says. "I'm sure everyone can still do it — Expecto Patronum!"

Nothing happens.

"Well, if you're stuck with a Dementor and you want to perform you're useless Patronus charm, go right ahead," Ginny says curtly. "The rest of you will be spending twenty minutes to practice your Patronus charm. Remember to think of happy memories."

The rest of the time goes by and we conjure our Patronus charms. My Patronus comes very easy to me — most of Dumbledore's Army thinks that it's because I'm a Petrinedum, but I know it's because I have such fond memories with Draco.

"Wow," Grayson (as Theodore) says excitedly. "I never knew I'd have a shark as a Patronus. That's pretty cool, don't you think?"

Francesca shrugs. "Better than a pony," She says, referencing her Patronus.

My Patronus is an adorable honey badger. It sort of represents me in a way — small but powerful.

The three of us meet Neville, Ginny, and Luna once the meeting has come to a conclusion.

"What do you two really look like?" Ginny asks my friends curiously. "I mean, under the Polyjuice Potion and everything!"

"Ginny, you can't ask that!" Luna scolds her friend. "That's like asking to see them naked — We don't want to see you two naked," She adds quickly.

Neville snorts. "Yes, that's what it means. You guys mimic the English accent pretty well."

"Pip pip cheerio," Grayson mocks.

"And now you've ruined it," Francesca deadpans. "Hogwarts is so much better than Ilvermorny. We don't have any secret organizations dedicated to the Dark Arts. . . I wish I'd have been the one to move here after third year instead of Amelia."

I cough. "We should probably get going, it's nearly curfew."

Grayson, Francesca, and I return to the Slytherin Common Room. As per usual, Draco is sitting on the couch eating a green apple and reading a hefty book. His eyes don't even glance at us when we pass him to enter our dormitories.

"Where have you two been?" Pansy asks. "We always spend Fridays watching the Quidditch teams practice!"

"Library," I say just as Francesca says "Detention."

Pansy gives us a weird look. "You two seem to have gotten so much closer this year, it's odd. Are you going to the Slytherin party tomorrow? It's right here, you know. In the Common Room."

"What's the occasion?" I ask.

"Hello? Snape is finally Headmaster? And why are you questioning why we are having a party? You love to celebrate anything and everything," Pansy snaps. "Blaise is getting us firewhiskey. We owe him four Galleons."

I nod absentmindedly. "Alright. Well I'll be off to sleep now, if you two don't mind."

******

The next day at breakfast, everyone in Slytherin is chattering about the party excitedly. It's only open for fifth years and above but the concept is exciting nonetheless. The seventh years and I enthusiastically discuss it at our seats at the end of the table.

"The changes to Hogwarts this year are wonderful," Draco says with pleasure. "My father had quite a bit involvement in it, I must say. It was his idea to prevent muggleborns from enrolling in the school."

My eyes widen. What Draco said  was rude, yes, but this is the first time I've ever heard him refer to muggleborns as . . . well, muggleborns. He's always referenced them as Mudbloods.

Goyle nods like a puppy. "Indeed you're right. Don't forget that Potter, Weasley, and Granger are gone. Finally the seventh years can have some peace without the three of them getting into trouble."

"It's a shame that Gryffindor will probably earn more House Points now that the three delinquents have left," I say disappointedly.

"Headmaster Snape will ensure that Slytherins win. He's the only Professor in this school who truly knows how amazing we are," Pansy says confidently. The rest of the table nods in agreement.

"You attending the party tonight, Greengrass?" Draco asks, turning to me. Out of my three years in Hogwarts, I have never once seen Draco interact with Daphne individually.

I narrow my eyes. "What's it to you, Draco?"

"Am I no longer allowed to be curious?" Draco asks, holding his hands up in surrender. "Alas, I'm assuming that's a yes?"

I don't answer.

"You better be careful, Malfoy. That's Zabini's girl you're talking to," Crabbe jokes. Draco makes a sour face before taking a harsh bite into his green apple.

The feelings in my stomach jitter. Does Draco always behave this unusual towards Daphne and I've never noticed it? Has this happened all the time?

I glance in the reflection of my plate.

I'm still Daphne.

Grayson, Francesca, and I spend the rest of the day in the library 'studying' when in reality we are formulating a plan to ambush Malfoy Manor and kill Bellatrix as well as the other Death Eaters. We'll certainly be needing the help of Harry, Ron, and Hermione as well as other members of the Order.

But it's a start and a start is all we need.

——-
Heyyyy:))

Guys wanna hear tea? My school has 12 covid cases but they're telling the state we have 2 so we don't have to shut down :0 (I go to private school and parents will revoke tuition if we shut down for too long)