Chapter Twenty Four

It felt as if it were forever until Friday finally had rolled around. I was still never formally told about Quidditch tryouts — but I still intended on going. My last class for the day was Divination with Professor Trelawney, a class I had learned to despise. Draco was right when he said that Trelawney was insane.

"I'll see you tonight," I said in a whispery tone to Zabini. "I hope you told Montague."

Zabini rolls his eyes. "I did and I hope you're happy. I reckon I won't even make the team. They have too many Chasers as it is," He huffs angrily.

I shrug. "I heard Malfoy's a terrible Seeker. You could always try to take his place," I whisper extremely quiet to Zabini. Draco is too busy insulting Harry to care about what we are saying.

"His father would destroy me," Zabini says laughing, but I know he is being serious. The power Lucius Malfoy holds over others is scary.

"Miss Grey? Why don't you read your horoscope aloud for us today?" Professor Trelawney asks, pointing to me knowing that I was not paying attention to any of the lesson.

My eyes trail to my textbook, which is opened to the wrong page. I quickly flip it a few pages over so that it is reading for Gemini's. "Somebody unexpected will contact you today," I read dryly.

Professor Trelawney nods. "That was satisfactory, thank you," She tells me, before turning to a Ravenclaw in the back of the room and asking her to read off her horoscope.

The rest of the class goes by slowly, until she finally dismisses us. Zabini and I exit the classroom and Draco joins us seconds after.

"Ready for tryouts today, mate?" Zabini asks him.

Draco nods, before his eyes turn to me. "What is she doing here?" He asks, wrinkling his nose. He said the word "she" as if it was an awful curse that he was forced to say.

"I'm trying out for Quidditch. Where are your two goons anyway? Shouldn't they be with you?" I retort angrily, crossing my arms over my chest.

"They'll be at tryouts, too. They both got detention in Transfiguration today for being bloody idiots," Draco responds smoothly, turning his attention to Zabini. "Going for chaser again? What is this, your third year trying out?" Draco asks cheekily.

"I was thinking of Seeker actually," Zabini responds in a collected tone. Draco's cheeks turn pink and he promptly stops talking after that.

The three of us arrive to the Quidditch pitch where Montague, Pucey, Warrington, Urquhart, and Bletchley stand. There are a number of second and third years trying out, all of whom lack athleticism and look frail.

Montague gives me a dirty look when he sees me approach, but doesn't dare say anything. "Alright, we have two beater positions and a chaser position open. Every position is fair game, but those three positions are the ones that we are truly looking for -" Montague turns to Malfoy. "Where's Crabbe and Goyle?" He asks.

"Detention," Draco responds.

"Typical," Pucey says, busting out laughing along with Warrington and Urquhart.

"Keepers go to Bletchley, Chasers go to Pucey and Warrington, Beaters go to Urquhart and Seekers go to Malfoy," Montague announces. "I'll be going through everyone to see how you're all doing."

Most of the potential candidates for the team go with Adrian and Cassius for the Chaser position, but there's a few potential beaters also. I notice Blaise opts to try out for Beater. I, however, am the only one in Bletchley's group and no one has even bothered to try and besmirch Malfoy's role of Seeker.

Bletchley looks me up and down. "So, Keeper, eh? Let's see how good you really are. Mount your broom and fly upwards."

I look at him defiantly, determined to prove myself as a better Keeper than him. Gently, I pick my firebolt broom up from the ground and easily ride to to the top of the pitch by the three hoops, with Bletchley right behind me.

"That was your firebolt? I thought Malfoy got a new broom this year —" Bletchley starts.

"Nope, it's mine. What are we doing next?" I ask him eagerly. My body fills with adrenaline with each second I'm with him. I catch a glimpse of the beaters and chasers, who are all flying laps around the pitch.

Bletchley raises an eyebrow. "You're quite determined, I like that," He says genuinely. "I'm not much of a Chaser, but try to block my shots," He adds.

With that being said, he launches the Quaffle at me. I lunge on my broom to grab it, and barely manage to stop it from entering any of the hoops. "You could've given me a warning!" I shriek.

Bletchley laughs. "You won't get a warning during a match, will you?" He chuckles.

"Yeah, but at least I'll know to be looking at it," I counteract. Seconds later, another Quaffle comes flying my way and I nearly jump off my broom to catch it.

The two of us run the drill a few more times, with Bletchley launching Quaffles at full speed to me and me managing to catch it. Montague flies by after reviewing the Chasers to look at us, and he seems impressed but tries to hide it.

"Grey!" Montague calls from across the pitch. "Come here for a second, will you?"

Bletchley and I exchange a look before I fly over to him. He's standing with Pucey and Warrington. "What's going on?" I ask the three of them.

Montague clears his throat. "Er — so you may not be as bad as we thought. But, Bletchley is still going to be our Keeper. Do you want to try being a Chaser?"

The three boys look defeated, having discovered that a girl could be just as skillful than them (Shocking!). "Sure," I reply warily. "I must warn you, I've never formally tried becoming a chaser."

Montague throws me the Quaffle, which I easily catch and score in the posts, diminishing Bletchley's feeble attempts to save it. After a few more tries of that, they make it a bit more difficult and start pelting Bludgers at me. Luckily, my small size allows me to be nimble and fit through small spaces.

"Wow," Pucey breathes, watching me fly through him and Warrington. "Maybe she isn't so bad after all," He whispers to Montague.

After about half hour longer, my limbs are sore. Montague calls everyone to the center of the pitch. Most of the second and third years have left by now, either from Montague sending them home or being worn out.

"Harper and Zabini, you two can return to the dormitories," Montague says. He sends the two disappointed boys back along with a few others, including Crabbe and Goyle, leaving just a handful of us here.

"Our Beaters are Urquhart and Warrington. Keeper is Bletchley, Seeker is Malfoy. Chasers are me, Pucey, and Grey," Montague announces.

I perk up slightly at the announcement, not truly expecting my name to be said. Some of the boys triumphantly pat me on the back as we remove our Quidditch gear and replace them with our robes.

Even Malfoy can't wipe the smile off of my face as I head back to the dungeons.

—-
Hi!! So.. we're #533 in Fred Weasley right now .... this isn't even a Fred Weasley story 😭😭😭

Anyways... thanks to TikTok I have 80 READS!!! That's insane, thank you!

QOTC: Who's your favorite Quidditch boy?

AOTC: Miles Bletchley is sooo hot LOL