Chapter 5

Zyair and Harper share a look. Clearly wondering why I'm asking. I give them an innocent smile.

"A bride is what we vampires call our mate's. There's a few reasons why. However the most obvious is because we don't have female vampires. As you probably noticed. Our mate's can range from all species. Werewolves, witches, fae, and even humans.

We cherish our mate's the most out of every species. They're what give us meaning. They bring light into our darkness. They're our joy. The ones we continue to exist for. Without them we become nothing but a dangerous shell. No emotions. No purpose. Just bloodlust and destruction." Zyair tells me. Although half way through he was staring at Harper lovingly so he could of been talking to her too.

"So there aren't any female vampires? I didn't know that." I tell him. Eating more of my food I think about what he said. So I'm Marcellus mate? That did make sense though. Why I felt betrayed by him and Starla. My anger and hurt feelings.

"Why do they enter your dreams though? Vampires, I mean. How can they just appear in your dreams?" I ask him.

He gives me a curious look. Harper looks confused at first but then she starts to smile.

"Cora, are you dreaming of a vampire? Oh my Goddess you are!" She squeals when she sees me blush. "Who is it?! That's why you're asking about vampires! Oh my fucking Goddess it's Marc isn't it?" She practically yells when things start clicking in her head together.

"I don't know, okay? That's why I was asking. He started showing up in my dreams two nights ago. This morning I went for my normal jog and ended up finding myself at his house. Only I didn't know it was his house until he started having sex with Starla on his balcony and I saw his face." From the look of horror on their faces, I quickly rush to defend myself.

"I didn't mean to witness it, okay?! I didn't understand why I was even there in the first place. Before I could even figure it out though, they just started going at it. I left as soon as my feet let me." I said avoiding looking at them now. Talking about it brought back the hurt and betrayal feelings I was having this morning.

"Oh Cora, I'm so so sorry!" Harper says grabbing my hand. "That's got to be the worst way to meet your mate. Wait you said you were dreaming about him right?" At my nod she looks at her mate.

"If she was dreaming of him then he was dreaming of her too. Why would he still continue things with Starla then?" She demanded him.

He looks at us sympathetically. "Honestly I don't know. He didn't even tell me he found his mate but I'll ask him and find out." He tells us shaking his head.

"No!" I yell at him. More calmly I say "no, I'll figure it out on my own. Please."

"Okay but we're here for anything you need, okay?" Harper tells me with a reassuring smile.

"Thank you." I tell them sincerely. "What do the dreams mean though for vampires?" I ask Zyair.

"Dreaming with our bride's help us find them easier. It only happens though when you're close enough. Being in the same town can do it and even a small city. The more the distance however makes it impossible unless we've already made the connection with the first dream or had a connection with her in person." He tells me.

"So a vampire would know his bride is close if they've shared the first dream together?" I ask.

"Yes." He tells me sympathetically, seeing where my mind was going with it.

I didn't ask anymore questions while I finished my food.

__________________

After dinner I head back home. Even though it's 9 p.m. I decide I'm going to work on Harper's dress. I'm almost done with half of it when I realize it's 3 in the morning. No wonder my eyes were burning and I'm feeling so tired.