Chapter 22

Marcellus grabs my arm, spinning me back around. "No don't leave. Let me explain okay?"

"I don't want to hear it." I tell him fiercely.

"I thought you fucking died Cora. I felt you fucking die." He tells me with so much anguish. "I got drunk. It made me numb and I couldn't think anymore. I couldn't remember. I couldn't remember why I got drunk in the first place. I couldn't remember you died. I couldn't remember how to feel. I couldn't remember anything." He lies. I could hear it as clear as day.

He let's go of my arm and I step back. I hug my arms around myself. Dread was pooling into my stomach.

"She helped. She helped us look for you. She's Adan's sister, you know?" I shake my head. No I didn't know. I've never met her before. "She was there when I felt our bond break. When I felt your essence leave this earth. She tried to help make the pain go away.

She was there for me. She stayed by my side when everyone else was too scared to even stay in the same house as me." He says but he's no longer looking at me. He's lost in his memories. He has a tender look on his face with admiration in his eyes as he talks about her.

I feel my heart start to freeze over. He was in love with her. He fell in love with another woman. He thought I died and he didn't even mourn losing me. He buried his feelings and fucked another woman to make himself feel better. It hadn't even been a fucking day before he moved on.

Did I really mean nothing to him? Did I ever mean anything to him at all? Was it suppose to hurt less knowing he didn't even realize he's in love with another woman? My heart ices over even more. Was he expecting me to feel grateful?

"I fucked her. I lost you so I lost myself in her. I sought comfort from a woman that I'm not even sure can give me the comfort I needed from losing you. Though my mind couldn't remember you at the time my body still did. It didn't feel like a betrayal though Cora. You were gone." My heart shatters as I fall to my knees with a heart wrenching cry. I didn't want to hear anymore so I cover my ears.

Marcellus gently pulls my hands away from my ears. I push him away from me. Hard. I grab my stomach as I throw up all over the floor. When I'm done I stand up on shakey legs. When he takes a step towards me I bare my fangs at him and hiss.

"Don't you dare try to touch me you fucking bastard!"

"Cora please! If I was in my right mind I never would of touched her! Please, mi amor, try to understand." He pleads to me.

"Understand what, Marcellus? That you were heartbroken and got drunk to numb the pain? YOU'RE FUCKING LYING!" He was lying. He didn't get drunk. Everything else was true but that part wasn't.

I feel so broken inside. I was full of hatred, anger, disgust, hurt, and anguish. He broke my heart. But it was my fault and he isn't in the wrong because he thought I was dead so that makes it okay, right?

He was seeking comfort to ease his pain. He didn't cheat because I was dead and our mate bond was broken. That didn't help make the pain go away. It still hurt. It still felt like betrayal to me.

He was suppose to be my mate. Was it really that easy for him to just forget we had been mates and be with someone else? Because the bond wasn't there to remind him?

"And last night what was your excuse last night? YOU'RE A FUCKING LIAR! Oh you thought I didn't know?" My voice is raspy. A dry chuckle leaves my mouth.

"Go on and pretend I'm still dead Marcellus because from now on YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD TO ME!" I scream at him.

"No Cora! No! I won't fucking lose you again!" He tries to close the distance between us again. I was to slow so he was able to gather me into his arms. I broke even more and sobbed into his chest.