Chapter 31

I wake up and Stella isn't here. She did leave me a note saying she's sorry she left without waking me up but she had to go pick up her daughter and would text me later.

I smile to myself. We had a lot of fun last night. We were already becoming good friends.

Getting up I go to the bathroom. After I'm done I turn the shower on. While I let it heat up I brush my teeth, floss, and rinse with mouth wash.

I don't spend too long in the shower. Wash my hair and body quick but thoroughly. Wrapping a towel around myself after I shut the water off I walk out of the bathroom.

Walking into the closet I try to pick something suitable for my first day of work. I decide on a light colored yellow blouse and white skinny jeans and high heel brown boots that go up just pass my ankles.

I blow dry and straighten my hair after I get dressed. I don't bother with putting any makeup on. I was getting ready to call Sasha when someone knocks on the door. Walking over to it I open it cautiously. I feel a bit relieved when I see it's only Mr. Keeney.

"Good morning, my lady. I was sent to inform you the elders would like to see you in the meeting room."

"Please call me Cora. I'm assuming they mean now?"

"Yes, Cora. Would you like me to walk you there?"

"No, I remember the way but thank you Mr. Keeney. Would you mind asking the cooks to make me some breakfast and have it sent here please?"

"Of course, my la.. Cora. Anything in particular?"

"Overeasy eggs with toast and sausage, please."

"Of course. I'll go tell them right away."

"Thank you!" I had to call out to him because he was already speed walking down the hall.

Shutting my bedroom door I head for the meeting room. As I'm walking I call Sasha real quick.

"Hello?"

"Hello Sasha, it's Cora. I was calling to see if it was still okay for me to start working for you today?"

"Cora! I'm so glad to hear from you. Yes I would really appreciate that actually. Could you come in around 11 this morning?"

"I'll be there. Thank you."

"No, thank you. See you then."

"See you." I hang up my phone just as I reach the door to the meeting room. Knocking loudly I open the door and walk in. They were expecting me so I wasn't waiting for them to yell enter.

They were all there. Each of them sitting on their own throwns. The more I saw them the less intimidating they became. I smile politely to all of them and focus my attention on Mare. He seemed to be the leader of all of them.

"Good morning, elders."

"Good morning, Cora."

I stand there for a couple minutes waiting for someone to say something but no one does. I lift my eyebrow at Mare. "Why did you ask me here?" I didn't ask it in a rude way or rather not too much anyways.

"We wanted to know how you're adjusting."

"Adjusting?" I question. He needed to be more specific. That question could imply so many things. Being a vampire. Moving here. Being mated to Ash who is one of their assassins. Being the only female vampire. See what I mean? He needed to be more specific.

"To everything. Moving here. Being a vampire. The only female vampire for that matter. Being mated to Ash. Him being our assassin."

"I think I'm adjusting fine. It's not the first time I've been mated. Adjusting to being a vampire isn't that bad. It is a bit weird being the only female vampire though. I quite like it here. The woods have always called out to me though I was never a werewolf to enjoy it the way their wolves do."