~CHAPTER 37~

~ANNA'S POV~

Too tired. I am way too tired. The kind of tired where you know you need to wear makeup to hide the bags under your eyes, but you're too exhausted to do it. Therefore, baggy eyes it is for the world to see. And from the way my sister and cousin look, they had the same idea. We all have a lot going in, with Hans still not being in police custody and of course school. Mainly Hans though.

Since he's still out there, the fear of him coming back, possibly breaking into our home, possibly harming us, is high. We're all on edge.

And mama and papa not answering any of our calls is even more worrisome.

"God," says Moana when my sister, cousin, and I make it to our table in the cafeteria, waiting for the day to start. "You three look like zombies. Did none of you get any sleep?" It was only her and Merida. Where are the others?

"It's hard to do when you have nightmares," my sister says bluntly, sighing in exhaustion as she takes a seat. "But don't worry. I'll get through it."

I put a hand on her shoulder, trying my best to comfort her, and hating that she has to endure such dreams. "We will get through it. I haven't had any nightmares, but I do find it hard to sleep. I'm just so...paranoid."

My sister nods, understanding, when Merida cuts in. "I don't blame you for being paranoid. Just try to be brave enough to not let him control you. He's not here, don't let him take more from you. Don't give him that power."

"But that's the problem," Elsa says, her voice so hopeless. "He's not here, Merida. We don't know where he is. I'd feel so much better if the police had him."

So would I, I think loudly to myself, but my mind goes blank when the cafeteria doors open, revealing Jack, Tooth, Bunny, Hiccup, and Astrid. And the first thing I noticed is that none of them seem to be having a good time.

"Hey," I say to them once they all approach the table, neither one sitting down, "What's up with you guys? You seem off. Did something happen?"

They all eye each other, giving a look that said "so who's going to tell them?", and an uneasy knot forms in my stomach.

"Jack," Elsa says, her voice soft, but serious. "What is it?"

Jack rubs the back of his neck nervously. "Um...my grandfather needs to speak with you. All three of you." He points to Rapunzel and I.

Astrid scoffs. "Stop being so suspicious, Jack, and get to the point. You're making them nervous."

I laugh, nervously. "Me? Nervous? Ha!" I wave the idea off. "That's absurd." I bite my lip, hoping that would control my blabbering mouth, but it only lasted for a split second. "Okay, fine. I'm petrified! You guys are giving off weird vibes. What is it?"

"My dad sent Astrid's aunt here," Hiccup spoke up. "She's waiting with Principal North in his office for you three," he points to my sister, cousin, and I. "She has news about Hans-"

"But won't tell us what it is until she tells you three and Rapunzel's parents first," Astrid interrupts grumpily. "We have no idea if it's good news or bad news."

"So..." Elsa starts, her eyes a bit clouded over, like she's thinking out loud to herself, "she'll either tell us that they caught him or...or that they can't find him."

"God," I hear my cousin mumble, speaking for the first time since we left her house. She was staring blankly at the table. "It would...It would be a real shame if they can't...find him. Ya know? That's...awful."

"If they can't find him then..." Elsa starts, but trails off. It didn't take a genius to know what she's thinking.

Then the nightmares will never stop. The paranoia will never stop. The constant watching behind your shoulder will never stop.