~CHAPTER 54~

~Elsa~

Jack filled me in on what I missed while I was with my uncle and cousin. I hate that I missed it and I'm in shock that it even happened. I also feel bad because Merida asked me if I knew of Astrid's feelings and I straight up lied to her. I hope that she believed it; it seemed as though she did. Internally I was panicking, but on the outside I tried my best to be calm and collected. For both mine and Astrid's sake. I don't want to cause unnecessary drama between the two of them. Astrid's worries were completely valid and she wanted me to keep it a secret, which I vowed to do. It's unfortunate I wasn't her bestest friend, but I can't change that. I can only respect Astrid's wishes. I wanted to be loyal to her, but now that I think about it, was I also being deceitful to Merida?

Ugh, I was really hoping to not stress tonight.

The doorbell suddenly rings through my home, causing some people to turn and look. I see Arianna and Frederick from across the room and motion to them that I got it. "I'll be right back," I say to my friends and look Jack dead in the eye. "Stay here and behave."

Jack rolls his eyes. "As if either one of those is happening. Come on." He links his arm through mine and leads us to the hallway.

I would have fought it, but I didn't because...well I actually want to spend as much time with him as possible tonight. Even if it means greeting guests at the door together. I know it sounds clingy—no, it is clingy—but if he doesn't mind, then really I don't see a problem.

As we walked off, I heard Anna say: "That's strange. Everyone on the list is here. All the names are marked off. Who could it be?"

I wondered the same, and the last person I expected to be on the other side of the door was Mr. Black.

I freeze where I stood, my stomach tightening, my breath catching in my throat, and my body erupting in chills. It has been awhile since I'd last seen him that it was like looking at a ghost. He stood in an all black suit, his hair slicked back, the sharp ends that usually stick out at school folded down into his head so nothing stuck out, and in his hands were...white roses.

My favorite flowers.

The last time I had seen white roses was when—

My body tenses at the memory.

No. There's no way. Maybe his handwriting is different.

"Good evening Miss Arendelle," Mr. Pitch says, smiling, then frowns when he takes notice of Jack. "And Mr. Frost."

"It's wonderful to see you Mr. Black," I say, lying of course. "I assume you're here for the Christmas Eve party?"

My math teacher nods. "Yes. I apologize for not reserving a spot. I hope that won't be an issue and even if it is, I will leave happily knowing that you have received these." He extends the white roses towards me and I, hesitantly, take them.

"Thank you, Mr. Black." I say, looking at the note that was sticking out of the flowers. My stomach twists in knots when I see the handwriting. It read: Merry Christmas, Elsa. I hope you have a magical holiday season. May it be jolly and bright and white. Like the roses you so love. He didn't sign it, but he probably felt he didn't need to since he's the one giving them to me personally. "How...um...very kind of you. Please come in."

Jack and I stepped aside to let our math teacher in and as we escorted him to the ballroom, I found myself growing hot. It's been a while since I had last seen the note I received at the hospital. I had given it to Chief Stoick as a piece of evidence in their investigation when they talked to me in the hospital, but I haven't heard anything about the investigation since Anna, Rapunzel, and I got questioned for being suspects in Hans's disappearance. I'm not even sure if they're still looking anymore.