~CHAPTER 41~

~TOOTH~

Bittersweet. That's the only word to describe what I'm feeling. A bittersweet type of pain. I knew they'd become more than friends eventually. I knew something had happened between the two of them on Halloween. I knew this would happen even before Elsa and I had our talk in the bathroom that night during Mavis's party. Jack's eyes just...light up differently when he's with Elsa. And yet...Despite knowing of the connection they have, despite knowing that it's more than platonic, seeing him kiss her hurts. It hurts me so much. I can literally feel my heart shattering into pieces and sharply falling into the pit of my stomach.

But at the same time...I'm happy. Truly, deeply, genuinely happy. They're perfect for each other. I can't deny that. They're like puzzle pieces that fit together so...perfectly. Perfect, perfect, perfect. So yes, while I am sad to see him kiss her, proving to all of us what we've suspected for so long, I'm not as sad as I always thought I'd be at the sight.

I had imagined them doing couple-like things together for a long while, to prepare myself for when it would happen in real life, and to be honest, I think it worked. Because seeing him lock lips with her...well...it's not all that sad. The pain isn't excruciating like I always thought it would be, but it still stings just a little, which is to be expected.

Of course, I'm going to hurt a little bit. I've been in love with him for years.

But knowing that he got the girl, the only girl he's ever shown interest in, well, as I said, it makes me happy. Jack deserves everything he could ever want. He deserves Elsa, and she deserves him. They deserve each other.

I just hope neither one breaks the other's heart.

Because a broken heart...

It's a different kind of pain.

~BUNNY~

I knew her heart was breaking. It's been broken ever since she became aware of Jack's obvious crush on Elsa. But I know that her seeing him kissing Elsa is a slap to the face, bringing her out of her fantasies and into reality. A reality in which Jack isn't hers and never will be. A reality that reminds me that Tooth will never be mine as well.

Yeah, that's right. I like her. I've liked her for a long while now. But I can't pursue anything because 1) she's always made it known that she loves Jack, and 2) I have the same issue as she does.

Adoption.

North is our adopted father, though he is more like a grandfather to us. That makes her my "sister" and Jack my "nephew". That longing, that desire, that she has had for years...I know exactly what that feels like. And though I may not know the extent of her pain right now, seeing her hurting does in fact hurt me as well.

Unrequited love sucks, but it hurts even more when that special person gets a person of their own.

A person who is not you.

I reached for her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. She looks up at me then, her eyes locking with mine, and silently telling me, I'm okay.

She sends me a small smile and squeezes my hand. I expected her to let go, but she kept holding on, and so I did too.

One day you'll find someone who will love you unconditionally, Tooth.

And while I'm not ready for that someone to arrive, I am ready for her to not feel the pain she is feeling now.

Pain that I will one day feel myself at a much stronger level.

Because like I said, unrequited love sucks, it hurts, but when Tooth finds someone who feels the same about her as she does them? That's going to hurt me a whole lot more.