~CHAPTER 8~

"Jack?!" Did he follow me out here? He certainly wasn't here a moment ago. Why did he follow me?  

"Yep, the one and only. Well, I guess there are millions of Jacks out there, but none of them will ever be me." He says, chuckling softly. "Do you mind if I sit here?" He points to the spot right next to me, and while I wanted to say 'no' I didn't want to be rude. I'm sure he already thinks of me as cold hearted.

"G-Go right ahead," I say, hoping he didn't notice my stammer. My body stiffened when he sat next to me. He wasn't sitting so close to where our arms or legs were touching, but he was still close. The space between us is a mere few inches.

We sat together under the tree in silence, just watching the people in the lake have a good time. The awkwardness was so thick that it could be cut, and I hated every second of it. What is he doing here? What's his purpose? Surely there's a reason for him sitting here with me. I doubt it's because he wants to. Unless...oh my god. Is he finally going to ask if I'm the girl from his past?!

"So are you enjoying the party?" Jack suddenly asked, making me jump.

"Oh, um, well...." I let out a nervous chuckle. "To be honest, no. I know I just got here a few minutes ago so I suppose I should still give it a chance, the night is still young after all, but...I don't know. I'm not used to these kinds of parties."

"Let me guess," he says. "You're used to the rich, fancy, glamorous, proper, and formal types of parties, right?" There was no sign of bitterness in his voice as he spoke these words, but I could detect a hint of playfulness. Is he teasing me? Then again, when does he ever not tease?

"Um....yeah," I answered, feeling my cheeks go red. "My parents would probably disown me if they saw me attending a party like this. I'm still surprised my aunt granted us permission to go."

"Where are your parents again? I heard that they went overseas for business," says Jack, really trying to keep the conversation going.

I nodded. "Yeah. My father is an architect and my mother does the interior design. They're helping to design and build new medical centers and schools in countries that need them. So in the meantime, my sister and I are staying with our aunt, uncle, and cousin."

"Interesting." He replied, but I wasn't sure if he meant it or not. "So for how long will they be gone? How long will you and your sister being staying here?"

"For about a year," I answered, surprised at how well the conversation flowed. "I'll finish senior year and figure out what to do for college when the time comes."

Jack chuckles, "Yeah, I still have to do that too. I'm already stressed out."

"So am I," I agreed.

This is where the conversation stops. We sink into the pit of awkwardness that starts to swallow us, and after only one dreadfully long minute, I couldn't take it anymore. I took a deep breath to calm my nerves and asked my question. "Jack, what....what are you doing here exactly?"

He looked over at me, his blue eyes connecting with mine in confusion. "What do you mean? It's a party that I, along with everyone else, was invited to."

"No," I shook my head and looked away. "I mean, what are you doing here....right now....with me?" I dared to look back up at him. "Last I checked, we....don't exactly...talk much. Is there something you need?"

He stared at me for a few seconds, which felt like years, before letting out a tired sigh. "There is actually."

I knew it. "And what would that be?"

"Answers."

I freaking knew it. Why else would he just pop up out of the blue and sit next to me? He wants answers, and since no one else is around I guess it's the perfect time he gets them. It's just as Rapunzel had told me before; if neither of us do it he might go to Anna and I can't let that happen.