Chapter 1

Issabella

'Mommy, please don't go' I begged, tears streaming down my face as I held my mother's head, my hand wiping the stray tears that fell from her eyes. She was covered in gashes and blood. Muscle and bone can be seen on various parts of her body.

'I love you Issa, always and forever. I'm so happy I was chosen to be your mother. I'll always be with you, watching over you. I promise.' she told me with a sad smile.

'No mommy, please stay here, please don't leave me and daddy' I cried.

'Shh, darling. I told you, I'll always be with you, in here' she said placing her hand over my heart, 'and I'll always be watching over you'.

With that, her hand fell and I watched as the light dimmed from her eyes. Her face smoothing out, the slight smile she had disappeared and I knew she was gone.

'MOMMY NOOOOOOOO!' I wailed, feeling my heart break. I was so lost in my pain that I didn't feel hands slip around my waist, pulling me from my mother's body.

'She's gone Bella, we have to go now' Alpha Elliott said as he picked me up.

'W-where's m-my d-daddy?' I asked, burying my head into his shoulder, not wanting to see the carnage surrounding me.

I needed my father. I needed him to tell me everything will be okay. I needed his arms around me, hugging, and comforting me, shielding me as he always had. I need him to guide me in this world without mother.

'Sweetheart...'  Alpha Elliott started, ' he's gone too...'

I jumped out of his arms before he could say anything else. I didn't hear his yelling, nor did I see the blood and bodies that littered the floor. My mind was numb. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't have lost my mother and father in one night.

I ran toward the front door needing to escape, unwilling to face the truth, but before I could make it I was stopped dead in my tracks. Surrounded by a pool of blood my father's body laid before me. His throat was ripped out, his body littered in gashes, cuts, blood and bruises.

I dropped to my knees, I couldn't breathe, agony threatened to overcome my whole being. It needed to escape so I released it by allowing a gut wrenching sob to tear from my throat, carrying all the sorrow I felt.

I woke up with my heart racing, covered in sweat and tears, my throat was raw. The nightmares always had that effect on me. Leaving me broken, time and time again. It was always the same, a constant reminder of the night that ruined my life.

I got up and went to the shower, needing to clean myself of the remnants of the nightmare. I rarely sleep, but when I do, I am plagued by nightmares of that night.

After I was done with my shower, I knew that I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep so I decided to go for a run. My wolf Ezra purred with excitement.

As I walked towards the forest, my mind wandered to him. It always does. When I am not occupied with my studies, training, or trying to find new ways to ensure that the core of who I am remains unaffected by their taunts and misdeeds; my thoughts are filled with him. All of who he is.

I can't help but wonder what it would be like when he realizes that I'm his mate. Would he accept me? Would he stop the torment? Would he stand beside me and help me prove to them that I am more than they say I am? What will he do?

When I was deep enough into the forest, I shifted. Shaking out my blue grey fur, stretching my limbs, finally I felt free.

My thoughts went back to him as it often did. Allowing Ezra to take over, I sink into the background and allowed myself to get lost in my thoughts.

He always tormented me, told me that it was my fault my parents and countless others are dead. Telling me that I am disgusting, pathetic, worthless, and more. Constantly reminding me that I shouldn't and don't deserve to be in this pack.

My father was the Beta and my mother was the Beta Female. They found me when I was a baby and raised me as their own. Loving me, caring for me, and never allowing me to feel like I didn't belong.

The rest of the pack however-with the exception of Alpha Elliott and Luna Amelie-always treated me like an outsider. They made sure I knew they would never accept me. After that night, the insults and mistreatment began. While they never hit me in front of Alpha Elliot and Luna Amelie, they always made sure I was involved in frequent 'accidents', so their abuse is not obvious.

He already told me that the only reason they tolerate me staying on pack grounds is due to the Alpha and Luna.

Would that change when he finds out? Would he help them see me as more than the disgusting girl that caused the deaths of their beloved Beta, Beta Female and numerous other pack members?

Mentally sighing, I decided to see where Ezra had taken us. Looking around I realize that she took us to our sanctuary; a beautiful meadow with flowers all over the clearing. She was laying in the center, using the scent of the flowers and the scenery to help ease her suffering.

I got Ezra shortly after my parents' funeral. I was twelve when it happened. Shifting so young was unheard of, but I guess their deaths and my treatment afterwards triggered my shift. It was the most painful physical experience of my life, but in the end, it was worth it. Having Ezra was worth the pain.

Ezra is a beautiful wolf both inside and out. The freedom and companionship she gives me have saved me multiple times. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't get her when I did.

The only downside was that by having her, I knew who my mate was as soon as I saw him, but his wolf can't recognize me as his mate until I turn eighteen. Wolves normally shift at the age of eighteen, and until both mates turn eighteen their wolves cannot recognize each other as mates.

But Ezra and I aren't normal. And because of this we suffer.

I sigh when I see the sun beginning to rise. The orange and yellow beams dispelling the darkness of the night.

'We have to go Ezra, why don't you take us home' I said.

'Okay' she replied, happy that she can stay in control a while longer.

As she ran, I let my thoughts wander back to him. His tall muscular frame, his dark, wavy hair that sported copper highlights, his alluring face, his green eyes though always filled with hatred when directed toward me, twinkled when he smiled and laughed. His lopsided grin hinted that there's a secret that only he knows. He was beauty personified.

Would he ever direct those smiles at me? Would he ever look at me with anything but contempt?

'It's time to shift, Issa' Ezra said to me dragging me from my thoughts of him. Ezra and my parents are the only people who ever called me Issa. Everyone else calls me Issabella or Bella if they bother to use my name. But I don't mind it, in fact I preferred it, because even something as small them calling me Issa instead of Bella or Issabella separated them from the everyone else.

Taking in the beauty of the forest through Ezra's eyes one more time, I sigh then shifted and went to one of the trees that I hid clothes in. After getting dressed I headed inside, already dreading the day ahead.

A/N- Issabella is pronounced EEsa-bella.

Issa and Ezra's meadow/sanctuary up top.