Chapter 25 - Secrets Revealed

Y/Ns POV

Its been four days since we were almost killed by spiders, and I have been visiting Hermione daily while also trying to look for any piece of paper that I could find.

I have a pretty good theory that Hermione had found the identity of the beast from the book I read, and she had the page that was currently missing.

Today, me, Harry, and Ron were in the the hospital wing visiting Hermione with Mums permission. She didn't even question us going to see her, since she knew how affected we were from her being petrified. Me especially.

When we arrived at the hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey being the strict woman that she was, reluctantly let us in.

I was still feeling sad and guilty that this happened to her. I still blame myself for her attack, and I don't care if anyone says different.

If we ever find the monster, it's going to be me who kills it.

"Wish you were here, Hermione." Harry said. "We need you. Now more than ever."

I brushed some stray hairs out of the way of her gleaming eyes and kissed her temple softly.

"I promise, I will never let this ever happen to you again. 'Mione." I whispered sadly into her ear.

"It wasn't your fault mate." Ron said.

Harry seemed to be quite distracted looking at something crunched up in Hermione's hand. It was a crumbled up piece of paper.

"What the hell?" I said. "I've been visiting her daily and I didn't even notice that."

Harry pulled the paper free from her grasp and read it aloud. His eyes widened as he read through the paper.

"Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more curious and more deadly than the Basilisk, known as the King of Serpents. This snake, which may reach gigantic size, and live many hundreds of years, is born from a chickens egg, hatched beneath a toad. It's methods of killing are most wondrous, for aside from its deadly and venomous fangs, the Basilisk has a murderous stare, and all who are fixed with the beam of its eye shall suffer instant death. Spiders flee before the Basilisk, for it is their mortal enemy, and the Basilisk flees only from the crowing of the rooster, which is fatal to it.

Pipes.

"Well that answers that question." I said. "The monster is a Basilisk!"

"But if it only kills by looking people in the eyes," Ron questioned. "Why is it no ones dead?"

"Because no one did." Harry said.

"What?" Ron asked. "Have you gone bloody mental?"

"He's right." I said while walking towards Colin and his camera. "No one died because no one looked directly at its eyes."

"Colin had his camera, so he must have seen it through the lens." Harry said.

I then walked over to the other victims.

"Justin may have seen it through Nearly Headless Nick. Since Nick is already a ghost, he can't die because he is already dead. Penelope must have seen it through a mirror or a window. Since Hermione was holding a mirror at the time, that's how she must have seen it."

"And Mrs Norris?" Ron asked. "She couldn't have had a camera or a mirror."

"She didn't need to." I said eagerly. "There was a puddle underneath Mrs Norris, so she only could see the Basilisks reflection."

"And how was it getting around?" Ron asked. "A big, bloody snake, someone could have seen it."

"The pipes!" Harry exclaimed. "Hermione answered that one too! It's using the plumbing!"