My Mentor (Stuart Twombly)

Stuart Twombly

Stuart Twombly

Stuart rolled his eyes as his eyes swept across the new faces in his group. He was appointed to be the mentor of a new bunch of interns of Google and was coerced into doing it. The socially anxious man hated any sort of interactions other than Nick, Billy, Neha, Yo-yo and Lyle. He wished that this entire process would just fly by as soon as possible.

You stared at your new mentor, thick rectangular glasses perched on his nose, a navy blue beanie swaddling his chocolate brown hair and the little moles dotted on his cheeks. His brown orbs showed disinterest, fingers twitching to reach for his phone and block out all outside communication. He looked pretty cute, at first, but his body language has told you he wasn't quite as nice as you expected your mentor to be. Stuart barely gave you a glance, not concerned about any of the curious interns. For some reason, this man, who never bothered for an induction, annoyed you. His entire indifferent attitude towards people and his surroundings kind of made you want to tell him to snap out of his secluded personality.

Not even a second later, Stuart had his phone  whipped out,eyes already glued to the screen, lost in the digital world.

"Um...aren't you going to introduce yourself?" You stepped out of the group of interns, confronting Stuart directly despite the risk of getting told off or even kicked out.

Stuart glanced up for a short moment before looking down at his device again. You took another step, arms folded, no longer hiding the irritation you felt. Your eyebrows furrows, lips stretched tight as you glared at the man.

You let out a huff, trying to get Stuart's attention again.

"Hello? I'm sorry but are you really our mentor? Can you at least introduce yourself? We're all trying to win the competition and get into Google so I'd really appreciate it if you, as a mentor, can be responsible and work with us." You attempted to be polite but just couldn't veil the slight insincerity in your voice.

This time, Stuart stuffed his phone in his pocket and let out an exasperated sigh.

"Ok, so I'm Stuart Twombly and welcome to Google. For the next few weeks I'll be your mentor and train you." Stuart spoke in a monotone voice, glancing at the group for once. "Your turn." Stuart spat, looking down at you condescendingly.

"Hey guys, I'm (y/n). My dream is to work at Google and I really hope I can work together with you guys to get this job." You smiled cheerfully at the unfamiliar faces, hoping to brighten the mood. You were only an intern and already more responsible than the mentor, which made the other team members question Stuart's position.

You and the team went one whole round introducing yourselves and you were quite sure that Stuart wasn't paying attention because the entire time, he was either shooting angry glowers at you or looking at his dear phone.

"Ok great. So for now we can just wait for the first task to come out." Stuart clasped his hands together, still adopting the boring tone he always uses.