Chapter 2

I can make you mine, taste your lips of wine
Anytime night or day
Only trouble is, gee whiz
I'm dreamin' my life away

I can make you mine, taste your lips of wineAnytime night or dayOnly trouble is, gee whizI'm dreamin' my life away

Just another regular Monday for me as I hop on the subway from Jersey City to Manhattan. I have my usual travel coffee cup in my left hand as I swipe my metro card with my right. I have my usual button-up work shirt, khakis, and loafers on. I take an open seat next to one of the many other commuters that decide to live in Jersey City to save money, even though that results in a thirty minuet subway commute five days a week.

It's not like I'm a stickler with money or I don't have it. I just don't see the point in spending money just to spend it. Maybe that's because I grew up not having a lot of money and I get anxious about the possibility of having to deal with the hardships of that again.

Once the subway eventually reaches my stop in Manhattan, I sling my backpack onto my back and rush off of the train. I scurry through the crowds of people in the underground, that never fails to carry a nasty stench, and enjoy my first fresh breath of the city air the moment I reach the top of the steps.

It's not a far walk from my subway stop to my work. And soon enough, just as it always does when I read her last name on the building, I feel my stomach flutter as I walk through the front door.

I quickly make my way into the elevator and up to one of the higher levels of the building where my office resides.

I already feel nerves bubbling inside of me as I see the scattered mess of my work bench on the opposite side of my desk.

Today I have a big presentation for the new microprocessor chip I have been working on for the past month. I have to finish debugging codes and putting my finishing touches on my presentation to give to all of the executives today.

And my nerves only get more intense when I remember that Grayson will be in that meeting.

I feel utterly ridiculous for having a massive crush on my boss. Not to mention, I feel utterly ridiculous for having a massive crush on anyone when I'm twenty-five years old. It makes me feel like I'm fucking sixteen again.

But how could I not have a crush on Grayson?

To be honest, I don't think she really knows I exist.

Yeah, sure she has seen me in a few meetings and she hired me. But if you were to ask her if she knew who Harry Styles is, she would probably not be able to answer. Which is fine. I'm pathetic and live through the moments I see her walking around the building. Or the times she ends up taking the elevator at the same time as me at the end of the day.

Sure she might not really know I exist, but I know she exists.

Being transfixed by the way she leads meetings. The grace and confidence she exudes with every breath she takes. Some men fear powerful women, but I find myself feeling enchanted by her power.