第五十三話 | 成仏する

After a few hours, Hanako had regained a small amount of magic power, allowing her to wake up. She shot up immediately, causing Ultear and Kimi (who had stayed in her room the whole time) to flinch.

"Master!! You're awake!!" Kimi exclaimed, launching herself at her fellow dragon slayer.

"Kimi, be careful! She's still weak!" Ultear reprimanded, pulling Kimi off Hanako.

Kimi frowned, noticing Hanako's frantic expression.

"Eri, where's Eri?!"

"Calm down, she's in quarantine right now. After the fight she came down with a fever and is still unstable," Ultear explained

"What about Nighteye?!"

"Nighteye, he..."

Hanako's eyes widened as she hopped out of bed, rushing out of the room.

"Master, wait!!" Kimi called out, but Ultear put a hand in front of her, sending her a look that told her not to chase after her.

By the time she made it to where Nighteye was, she was met with Centipeder, Bubble Girl, Recovery Girl, All Might, and Izuku. She panted slightly from running all the way over while still weak, leaning on the doorframe.

Izuku's face lit up at the sight of her, though he was still worried. He rushed to her side, helping her stand up.

"Are you okay??" He asked.

"I'm fine, how is Nighteye??"

"There's nothing more we can do. To be honest, it's a miracle he survived this long," a male nurse spoke.

"My healing can't help him either. He's too far gone for me to save..." Recovery Girl trailed off, looking down.

"Please! Let me try and heal him! I can-"

"I'm afraid that's not possible, miss Miyazaki. According to Ultear, if you were to strain yourself by using too much magical power, you'll die on the spot," the nurse informed.

"But-!"

"Young Miyazaki..." All Might cut her off, shaking his head slightly.

"I'm sorry, but you should prepare yourselves. I don't think he'll live to see tomorrow," said the nurse as the door to Nighteye's room creaked open, allowing the group to enter.

"I'm so sorry..." All Might apologized.

"Is that you...All Might...? You feel like talking...now that I'm on my deathbed...?" Nighteye croaked.

"I don't know what to say. I was wrong. I pushed you away and now-"

"Nighteye!" Hanako and Izuku called.

"Hang in there! Please, you have to live!"

"I've never heard you sound so penitent before, All Might. But I didn't resent you for what happened between us. I mean that," Nighteye said in a breathy voice. "All I wanted was for you to be happy. And if you've decided to fight fate, then I-"

"You should be fighting it too. Please, give me a chance to make up for what I've done!"

"There's nothing to make up for. I wanted to change the future, keep you from being killed. I looked for ways to alter the fate I'd seen. I tried, but there was nothing I could do. And then today, Midoriya succeeded where I failed. I believe, it might have to do with the energy contained in thoughts. The power of a vision so strong it leaves no room for doubt and strives toward the desired future. It wasn't just Midoriya. Everyone there truly believed that what they were fighting for could come to pass. Maybe what we saw today was the result of that energy converging on Midoriya and being released. You've changed my thinking. You've shown me the future isn't set in stone, and that's enough for me. I only...have one regret left..."