◟eighty-four

roses

roses

eighty-four
Kensho Vandenberg

The following day, a Tuesday, (Name) woke up earlier than her expected wake-up time.

She opened her eyes softly and saw the gentle rays of the sun shining through her sheer curtains. Turning to the other side, she saw her clock. 6:45, it read. Normally, she would wake up at 7 and do all her school morning routines in 55 minutes, then glitch to school with the remaining 5 mins before class starts.

She lay on her bed in silence, staring at the dark ceiling parallel to her. Her hands fell on her chest.

A gentle breeze hit her window, making her turn her head to her balcony doors. From staring at the ceilings, she now was staring at the doors. She's been dazed recently, feeling December 15th coming close.

It was the day Kensho was pronounced dead. 8 years ago in the Kingdom of Glitherial.

Kensho was still fresh on her mind, fishing out a photograph from her bedside drawers, (the same photograph (Name) shoved in when Bakugou came to visit the room), a tear fell from her eyes as she shuts them hard, she grips the photo tight and grits her teeth.

"I miss you, Kensho." She said caressing the photo of him, Kohan and her together in front of the Glitherial's Imperial Palace.

Kensho Vandenberg, the illegitimate son of Duke Kyle Vandenberg.

Kensho was a half-noble, which was not tolerated in the Kingdom of Glitherial. Although he was an illegitimate child, he had the luxury of living within one of the duke's mansions: the Ruby Mansion.

He was the offspring of a forbidden relationship. A maid and the House's lord--Duke Kyle. The Duke and her mother kept this relationship a secret until it was leaked due to another chatty maid.

The crowd cried insults and threw rocks at the pitiful lady, hanging by a thorny rope on the neck. She was displayed in the central plaza as if the new attraction to see. Her feet can still feel the wooden platform, but after a few more words of the man beside her, she will no longer feel them.

Mere townspeople threw insults using their mouths, the nobles gave her disgusted eyes. Kensho saw these expressions, and can't help but also cower in fear. He hid behind a barrel on an alleyway, for no noble wanted to be seen with an illegitimate child.

His mother shook in pain and in fear, feeling the thorns wrapped around her neck and the rocks of all sizes hitting her frail body. She had little to no energy to open her eyes, but she smiled when she did.

Opening her eyes, she met eyes with her son.

As much as Kensho wanted his mother to look at him during the time of her despair, she looked away, in hopes of her child not to see her in this state. It was shameful.