9.

"HURT THO, NOT ANYMORE

"HURT THO, NOT ANYMORE..."

--¤☆¤--

It had been at least three weeks since my arrival in District Thirteen, if I could recall correctly. My health has improved greatly, thanks to the dieting and doctors; that helped me get back on my feet. Mentally, I was slowly getting better; but it was small. I could sound somewhat not flinch or gag at the sight of blood anymore, but everyone that surrounded me, insisted that this was a good start for me.

I had hesitantly agreed to help the Rebellion win the war, and would soon have to film promos and preach whatever they needed me to. Finnick and I were going to get married, hopefully it would be soon. And I was happily reunited with my family from District Ten, though I did enjoy the peace and quiet; over the loud bickering between Damian and Carrie.

Though everything had been going really well, Katniss's mom had insisted that now would be the perfect time for me to reimburse myself back into somewhat of a normal life. To get myself back into the norms of me being around more people. To be comfortable back in an environment where I didn't know every person around me. My new mission? Eat in the cafeteria during lunch today, and socialize. Easier said than done.

'I got this..I got this..If you can survive the games..Survive Snow, you can do this..You can sit in a cafeteria and socialize, Athena...This is a walk in the park compared to everything else..' I thought, reminding myself to be confident.

Tracing my fingers over my bracelet, I could feel the eyes on me making my skin feel as though it was crawling. This was my first time being out in District Thirteen's eye, and it made me feel uneasy. I struggled with remaining confident, but it was hard when it felt like every whisper was about me. When every stare was directed into my direction.

No one but a select few had seen me since my arrival, so the stares were in some way warranted. Gulping down the fear in my throat, I look over at Finnick for reassurance only to find him struggling to balance two lunch trays. Not only was he balancing two lunch trays, but he was attempting to balance the cups of water too. I could tell that this would end up in one of two ways, Finnick tripping and spilling the water and food or he by sear dumb luck would somehow wing this. Not wanting to take the risk, I shake my head at him and I go to help him; but he pulls the tray away from me, before I could grab it.

"Nope. I'm the man, I'll take care of this." He insists, making me scoff.

"You're a man, until you drop the trays and get an earful from Carrie. And I won't be defending you, Fish-stick." I said, as the tray wobbled slightly; almost dropping the food onto the floor.

"I'm not scared of her." He said, with an arrogant smirk.

"You say that now. Just remember that she had access to the knives in the kitchen. She also learned how to butch a cow before she could walk straight." I said, making his smile drop.

"Okay noted." He said, handing me a tray.

Giving him a knowing look, he sends me a wink back and walks over to a table in the far back; as I trail behind him. Seated at the table was Annie, Katniss, Soldier Hawthorne, Effie and some others who faces; I could not see at the moment. Taking a deep breath, I sit at the empty spot next to Finnick keeping my eyes low. Glancing up, I found that half of the table was staring at me with wide eyes and the other half were frozen in place. Katniss had stopped cutting her mysterious looking meatloaf? To stare at me.

"Can we please not look at me like that." I whisper, making them snap out of whatever trance they were in.

"Glad to see you, Athena. Been far too long." Annie greets, as I smile softly at the redhead.

"It's good to see you, Annie." I said, nodding my head at her in respect.

Looking at everyone else, Effie Trinket, who I recognized right away as Katniss's escort, was giving me a soft smile. Smiling back at her, I looked over to Soldier Hawthorne who had a look of both awe and mild coldness; making me shrink back slightly. I don't know why I did that, but all I knew was that I didn't like the look he was giving me. Looking over at the other three people at the table, I could instantly see the aura of Capitol on them making me guess that they were possibly her old prep team.

To the right of them was an empty spot, making me guess that they were saving it for someone else. Possibly another friend of theirs or someone close to Katniss? I could guess that based on the face that Katniss seemed the most comfortable around these people than she did with everyone else. So this was her comfort zone, and I was assuming that she would only let people she felt the most comfortable with sit here.

"Um⎯So you're out of the Hospital. That's good?" Hawthorne says, making me cringe at the awkwardness from his tone.

"I guess. I'm bunking with Finnick." I said, picking at the piece of bread on my plate.

"Oh, I heard that you two are um⎯a thing?" Katniss questions, making my cheeks flush.

"Really? What about Johanna?" Effie asks, making me chuckle.

"Johanna's gonna have to move on from me. As painful as that will be for the both of us. But I think it's what is best⎯for everyone." I said jokingly, making Katniss and Finnick snicker quietly.

"Funny." Hawthorne said, making my smile fall at the coldness in his tone.

I didn't know what I had done to upset him, but all I knew was that this was killing my mood. I was trying to keep things light-hearted and keep the nerves at bay, but he was making it hard to do so. Looking at Katniss for some kind of help, she nudges him with her elbow before her eyes light up for a second. Like she had remembered something important. Furrowing my brows, she points her thumb at him making me even more confused.

"Oh, right! Um, Athena⎯this is Gale Hawthorne. He was part of the rescue team that got you guys out of the Capitol. He's also a good friend of mine from Twelve." Katniss said, making Gale look down at his plate; like it was the most interesting thing ever.

"Nice to meet you." He said, not looking up from his plate.

"Wish, I could say the same." I whisper, under my breath.

+++++

And I am done with the chapter! Stay safe out there guys!

I hope you all are doing okay emotionally and physically in quarantine! I love you all!

I hope that you are enjoying the book so far! A quick reminder to comment below about the story of what you think so far!