17.

"YOU DESERVE HAPPINESS, ATHENA

"YOU DESERVE HAPPINESS, ATHENA..."

--¤☆¤--

Taking a deep breath, the doors opened to reveal the rows and rows of people; and at the very end was Finnick. Dressed in a more polished version of the grey jumpsuits, Peeta and Hermes stand behind him with smiles as they padded his back. Gulping the lump in my throat, me and Haymitch walk down the aisle as the soft music begins to play.

I could feel the eyes on me, making my nerves only grow; which was odd considering that I spent a large part of my life in the spotlight. Tightening my grip on Haymitch's hand, he gives me a comforting squeeze back making me feel slightly better.

"Remember, you can turn around at any point, I won't blame you if you do." Haymitch whisper's, making me chuckle quietly.

"Not a chance, Haymitch." I whisper back, as he cracks a smile.

Holding onto his hand tightly, I let out shaky breaths as I slowly got closer to Finnick and the small table in front of him. Keeping my head up high, I watch as we pass by the rows and rows of people, when I lock eyes with Johanna and Katniss, both of them have smiles plastered onto their faces.

Smiling back at them, I turn my eyes back to Finnick; my eyes meeting my favorite pair of sea green eyes. Walking up the steps, me and Haymitch stop at the very last step; where Finnick meets me halfway there, the trail of my dress covering the rest of the stairs.

"Take care of her, Finnick. For me, okay?" Haymitch said, holding my hand out for Finnick to take.

Nodding his head at me, Haymitch grabs my hand and places a kiss on it as Finnick grabs my other; intertwining our hands together. Walking up the final step, I stand beside the small table; side by side with Finnick as we face each other.

Standing on a stool behind the table was a priest, dressed in all grey robes with a small gold necklace shaped into a cross. Taking a deep breath, I do my best to flatten the lace of my dress; as I look up at Finnick with a nervous smile.

"We gather here today, to watch the unity of Finnick Odair and Athena Grey." The priest said, as everyone sat down.

Looking down at the table, I noticed that placed in the center of the table was the glass bowl filled to the brim with salt water; it was our makeshift ocean. Laid around on my side of the table, was the piece of paper with the pen.

While on Finnick's was an unlit candle and match on the other side of the bowl, as well as something gold. Which made me confused, I thought that we were going to be following the traditional wedding ceremony from District Four.

"When ink meets water, it mixes together to form as one. Now with you two, you shall mix and form as one love." The priest preaches, as I look up from the table.

Picking up the pen, Finnick presses it onto the piece of paper as he begins to write out his full name; Finnick Odair. Watching him, He smiles at me before sending me a sly wink making me flush. Biting back a smile, he mouths the same words that the priest was saying; not before giving me a bored look. Giggling, he smiles at me softly which only made me smile even more; if that was somehow possible.

"Two hearts will now be one. You shall be united as one. Now longer will your love be separate." The priest said, as Finnick finished writing his name on the paper; before handing me the pen.

Scribbling my name onto the paper, the ink was still wet and beginning to spill into one large drop of paint. Lifting the paper up, I grab one corner of it as Finnick grabs the other side of the paper; as we both dip it into the water, making both of our fingers wet from the salt water.

Dipping the paper further into the water, we watch as the ink blends together with the water; mixing together, until it is one. Smiling at him, as we pull our hands out of the water; I go to pull away my hand but he stops me.

"Finnick?" I whisper, confused by the action.

All we had to do was seal our marriage with a kiss, once we did I was no longer going to be Athena Grey, I was to be Athena Odair; wife to Finnick Odair. Frowning slightly, I chew on my lip as I try to figure out if we had missed something; but, instead I remember that we had followed the entire ceremony that they did traditionally in District Four. From the writing of our names, to letting the ink mix together; to show that me and Finnick were now one. So what was the sudden stop?

"I am marrying the girl from District Ten, so it's only fair that we follow your traditions in Ten. I am marrying you and your culture, too." He said, lifting my hand up to his lips as he placed a kiss onto it; making me tear up.

"Now with this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never empty, for I will be your wine." He said, smiling at me with teary eyes.

He was saying the exact same words, my father had said to my mother on their wedding day. The same words that many couple's before us would say to each other on their own wedding day. I could remember how Klaus would recount the phrase whenever there was a wedding in Ten, saying that one day in the future; someone would be saying the same exact thing to me.

"With this candle, I will light your way in darkness." He said, picking up a match.

Lighting the match, a bright blue flame emits making my lip tremble as he lights the candle. The flame dances between the match and now the lit candle. Blinking back tears, he blows out the match and places it on the table; next to the bowl of salt water. Grabbing the ring from the table, he grabs my hand again bringing it up to his lips as he places a final kiss on it.

"And⎯and with this ring, I ask you to be mine for forever." He said, slipping the gold band onto my ring finger. 

+++++

And I am done with the chapter! Stay safe out there guys!

I hope you all are doing okay emotionally and physically in quarantine! I love you all!

I hope that you are enjoying the book so far! A quick reminder to comment below about the story of what you think so far!