9

A tinted green Kia Soul turned into the lot of Shells convenience store and he pushed off the walls of the store, approaching the vehicle that stopped in front of him and doors unlocking

               A tinted green Kia Soul turned into the lot of Shells convenience store and he pushed off the walls of the store, approaching the vehicle that stopped in front of him and doors unlocking. Big Latto played loud from the speakers, the bronze beauty with her blonde tribal braids extends her arm outward to the radio, turning down the sounds of the Atlanta rappers voice, as he settled in the passenger seat and buckled in.

               "Thank you for picking me up, Lorelei." Romeo said to the nineteen year old beside him.

               "Of course." She responded, pulling onto the road. "Why am I picking you up here? Your father was really mad when he showed up earlier."

               Romeo waved off the mention of his father. "Who cares."

               "Well, I do, kind of." Lorelei chuckled slightly. "You took his kids, Romeo. What's going on?"

               "It's not important. You gotta blunt?"

               Lorelei left the conversation alone since he didn't want to talk about it. She wouldn't force it out of him. "At home. I have to go to work."

               "You work at my Pop restaurant." he mentioned since that is where he and Lorelei met each other. Lorelei's one of the line cooks at Booker's Seafood—the youngest and only woman. She's a smart individual like Romeo, graduating early and receiving a degree in culinary arts. She was one hell of a cook and accepted the position to save and one day open her own restaurant.

               "That doesn't mean I can be late," Lorelei responded. "I still have to drive twenty minutes to Long Beach. You know how L.A. traffic can be."

               "I'll make sure you straight. Calm down." Romeo leaned back in the seat watching her shake her head.

               It was a while of a drive until Lorelei made it to the townhouse she shares with her workaholic older sister and settled in her bedroom. Romeo welcomed himself to plop down on her bed and spark up the blunt resting in the ashtray. Blowing out the thick smoke, he let his head fall back as he watched the smoke circulate in the air.

               Lorelei came out of her mini walk-in closet in her line cook attire for the seafood restaurant—the black single-breasted chef coat with Booker's Seafood engraved over her right breast and the gold name tag underneath and black slim-fit pants. She stood in front of her dresser mirror, positioning her tribal braids in a bun, as Romeo raised up on his elbows and watched her.