34

"Mom

"Mom. . . Mom. . . Mom. . . Mommy. . . Mom."

Cru hung upside down on the large island, purposely annoying his mother, in just his underwear when he should be upstairs getting ready for the day for elementary. While his mother blended the egg yolk in the bowl with a whisk to finish the final dish for the morning breakfast.

Cru sucked his teeth. "Why are you not answering me? Can I go?"

Shantey lifted the bowl and poured the eggs in the prepped pan. "What you can do is go put on your uniform. Go, Cruz, before I make you chop your hair off."

Cru lifted up quickly. "Nuh-uh. Daddy said I don't have to."

Shantey placed bowl in the sink, while the eggs cooked on gentle heat. "Yo Daddy don't run shit over here."

"He run me," Cru remarked.

"Cru—Get up and go get dressed. If I gotta ask—you know what..." She raises her left foot and pulled off her pink Versace Medusa slide and he ran out laughing. "Stop playing with me Benito!"

Cru nearly ran into Tae as he dashed upstairs.

"Boy, why you not dressed?" Tae asked as he held Seona. Cru continued to run and Tae proceeds to the kitchen. "Why he not dressed?"

"Cause he wants to piss me off early this morning," Shantey said, moving the seasoned eggs around the pan to cook them evenly. "He miss that bus I'm kicking his ass I'm not playing."

"Ameer ready; he finna come down. Seona ready," Tae informed. "I done her hair. How I do?"

Shantey glanced beside her, inspecting Seona's her that was brushed up neatly and the ponytail curly and she smiled with approval. "You done a good job, baby. Just let me do her edges."

Tae takes over cooking the breakfast eggs, while Shantey grabbed Seona and sat her on the island. Seona reached over and took a piece of toast off the plate as Shantey hollered, "Roro! Bring me Sese's edge control!"

Hearing his mother's shout, Romeo detoured to Seona's room and grabbed what his mother hollered for, then went down to the kitchen.

"Good morning y'all," Romeo greeted and pressed a kiss on his mother and sister's foreheads.

Shantey made a face. "Why you didn't let me braid your hair last night?"