17. Not Bulletproof Anymore

Haneul laughs boisterously throwing his head back

Haneul laughs boisterously throwing his head back. He comes to an abrupt stop, pulling Dae Ho by his collar and shoving him into the wall. "That was a pathetic joke. I didn't laugh." He stares into the fighter's eyes with hostility, his pulse speeding, veins popping at the side of his temple. "Now tell me where she is."

But all Dae Ho answers is with silence.

"Tell me," the doctor grits, his fists shaking. "Tell me you're so sick in the head that every word you utter is to poison others. Tell me you're so brutal you make a living person sound dead. Tell me..." he gulps audibly, eyes boring holes into Dae Ho's. "Tell me...this is a goddamn lie!"

Yet again, Haneul is replied with pin-drop silence, but this time a tear rolls down Dae Ho's cheek. "She...she's gon—"

"No!" The doctor pushes the brother. "She's alive! Jus— I know you hate me right now but...Minji has nothing to do with whatever is happening." He loosens his grip on the collar and places them on Dae Ho's shoulders smoothening out the material of his hoodie. "I'll leave without her number. Just tell me she's doing well just like Jisoo mentioned. I'll never even bother you again. I promise. She's living the best time of her life, right?" His voice breaks, mouth dry. He doesn't know who he's trying to convince, himself or Dae Ho.

Dae Ho sniffles and turns his head to the side, making no effort to present the answers Haneul seeks.

"Park Dae Ho!" The bluehead yells, shaking the said man violently.

"Haneul, stop!" Dae Ho pries off the other's hands and wipes his tears. "She's gone...no more here."

Haneul wants to squeeze out the baloney from the fighter. He'd gladly punch the crap out of him to bring Dae Ho back to his right state of mind. His heart doesn't agree, but the other's eyes hold raw emotions, grief, and hurt. The man in front of Haneul isn't the Park Dae Ho who ruthlessly murders people but Dae Ho, his old friend, a loving brother, and a great companion. It has been an unspoken mark between them, Dae Ho being unable to lie to Haneul and the latter seeing right through him most of the time if he did.

"H-how...w-why?" The doctor asks with a shaky breath, feeling like his legs would give out any moment now. "Why—why did you lie to Jisoo and your parents...?"

"Let's not do this...go home." The younger runs a hand over his face, moving to sit on the leather chair, curling into himself.

"I deserve to know that much at least," Haneul whispers with trembling lips.

"I...I couldn't protect her. It's all my fault..." The brother takes shallow breaths, the heels of his palms digging into his wet cheeks. "Please, Haneul..." He puts his hands together in a plea, red-rimmed eyes screaming of his silent pain. "I beg of you, please leave me alone. Knowing would do you no good..."

"B-but—"

"Please!"

One look is all it takes for Haneul to stumble out of the building.