38. The Charming Vixen

"What do you mean he passed away? How?"

"He had a heart attack last night and his funeral is being held as we speak." The maid informs, clasping her front, her apron dipping slightly.

Haneul and Dae Ho stand, eyes on each other, not knowing what to do. Their only key to getting out information about the research is now dead. Is it a coincidence or not?

They leave after asking about the hospital he died at and the place Shin Beom's funeral is being held at.

"Is there a way to see his autopsy report?" Dae Ho asks, pulling the seatbelt over him after they enter Haneul's car. "I just want to take a look."

"I have a friend working at the hospital so it wouldn't be a problem," Haneul replies, taking out his mobile phone. "Let me ask him."

Dae Ho slumps in the seat, the glimmer of hope that twinkled just moments ago dying out. He's a pessimist unlike the man sitting next to him, someone who doesn't let his spirit falter and waver. He may be one of the strongest men in Haneul's eyes but the fighter doesn't remember the last time he was able to look at himself in the eye and confront the monster he's become. A cowardly beast that's terrified of looking back at the bloody trail his claws have tracked.

The ping sound and Haneul's hand coming up to him grabs Dae Ho's attention. He takes the mobile phone from the other's hand and taps the pictures of Shin Beom's autopsy report. The cause of his death is just as the maid mentioned, a heart attack due to natural causes. But one particular detail has the fighter shutting his eyes in frustration. "Damn it!" He curses under his breath.

"What happen?" Haneul glances at his side momentarily.

"It's a possibility that Shin Beom didn't die but was killed. More like I'm sure of it."

"What! How?"

"There's an exact tattoo on his torso like the one Vee has and Seonho had it too. A serpent coiled on a stick." The younger grits, his hands curling into fists. "This is so futile. I have been on it for years and keep grabbing air every time."

"Hey, hey, it's okay. I'm sure we'll find something soon. Don't fret over it." The doctor rubs his free hand over the other's shoulder reassuringly. "Even if we don't get any leads now, we still can check out the research lab. If there's any of it left, that is."

Not long after, they reach the funeral hall. Haneul parks his car outside the place, Dae Ho behind him, keeping some distance between them. Like any usual high-end society funeral, rows of funeral sprays stand on both sides of the hallway, with red and white flowers and silk ribbons from various companies and acquaintances. People in black or dark clothing greet and offer their condolences to Shin Beom's family members, Haneul spotting his ex-wife with a tissue dabbing over her eyes.