44. The Red line of Life

Four months

Four months.

Four months since the incident at the Seoul Army Hospital.

Four months since Dae Ho took a bullet for Haneul.

Four months since Dae Ho shot Vee dead.

Four months since Haneul went back to his everyday life.

Four months since Dae Ho's—

"Dr. Kim!" A resident with round glasses calls him, pulling Haneul back from his thoughts. "I checked the patient's status and it's normal. I think she can be discharged tomorrow."

"Alright." The doctor nods. "You can leave for today then."

The other bows to him in respect and walks away. Haneul goes on rounds, checking on his patients before he ends his shift for the day. He directly goes home to get ready for the charity gala he's invited to along with his parents and brother.

He puts on a deep blue velvet suit with golden threading along the lapels and instead of wearing a shirt, he puts on a satin waistcoat of the same color as the event isn't anything official. With a Rolex watch and a few puffs of perfume, the doctor walks out of his place after gelling his hair in a comma hairstyle.

The event is as luxurious as all other Haneul attends usually, overflowing drinks and jazz music, overpriced jewelry, and clothing worn by the guests. The clicking of pencil heels against the floorboards is as prevalent as the idle chatter in the hall. The diamond necklace to be auctioned is placed in a bulletproof glass box in the middle of the hall.

Haneul spots Shin Naeun in a white dress, a man's arm around her waist. If it was more than a year ago, the doctor's heart would've plummeted at the sight but now he doesn't feel anything. He's healed from their broken marriage and moved on. Now she's just another person he knows. The said woman struts towards him with a raised brow and a glass in her dainty hand.

"Haneul, did you get my wedding invitation?" Naeun asks with a victorious smirk as if she has the upper hand, gracefully twirling the drink in her hand.

"I did. But I will not be attending it since I'm busy." Haneul replies without care. He isn't stupid enough to cheer his ex's wedding.

"Aww, did you still not move on like you say?"Naeun scans her surroundings before she speaks again. "Where's your watchdog? I don't see him today."

"Who?"

"Park Dae Ho, who else." The woman shrugs followed by a peal of pretentious laughter. "I promised him he'd get invited to my wedding when he had a lot of crap to say to defend you." She rolls her eyes and takes a sip from her glass. "Oh right! I heard what happened to him a few months ago, that's too bad. He didn't deserve that." She fakes sympathy with a hand on her heart. "Who would fill the void in your heart now?"