13. Emerging from a Blindspot

19 July, 6:46 P

19 July, 6:46 P.M.

The clatter of cutlery and ceramic plates along with murmurs of the customers reverberate throughout the restaurant. Men in polyester vests and white shirts scurry from table to table taking orders from the guests. The dim golden lights coupled with slow jazz music deliver a serene environment. "Do you think these will be enough?" A wavy-haired man asks patting the shopping bags placed beside him.

"Minjae, for the last time, yes, your wife will be happy with these anniversary gifts," Haneul grunts throwing the man a nasty look. "You've been asking the question since we left the mall."

"I'm just nervous," Minjae juts out his lips and scoops out a spoonful of fried rice, reaching for a piece of sizzling Korean beef on the charcoaled grill with his chopsticks.

"For the love of—it's your sixth anniversary," the doctor deadpans with a click of his tongue. "I'm sure she'll enjoy the day even if you just take her out to dinner."

"You think so?"

"I know so. You both really love each other and have a better understanding than anyone I've come across. Disgustingly in love."

"Perfect!" The lanky man drops the cut meat into his mouth with a grin. "I'll throw a party at the farmhouse if this works out successfully."

"Oh, really?" The doctor wiggles his eyebrows with a tease. "Is this the comeback of—"

"No, no. No bachelor and no booze. It's not like you drink anyway. Bring Soomin along with you."

"Ah, party pooper. Still can't believe it took one woman to kill the party animal in you."

"You forgot I'm a father of two kids too, pal."

Haneul smiles fondly at the other. Building a family changes a man in different ways. The transition could be subtle or turn one into a whole new person. He may have not had a happy marriage but Haneul believes he has the strong support of family and friends, something he's confident of being bestowed with. "Do you want anything for dessert?"

"No, I'm full already. Let's go if you're done too." Minjae wipes the side of his lips with a tissue and drinks a glass of water. "Did you move in with your parents yet?"

"No. I'm still thinking about it." The blue-haired man replies sipping his lemon cocktail, the glass surface beaded with condensation. He picks a cube of ice from the chilled drink and bites it. "Minnie does stay over with them till I get off work. Sometimes she even sleeps there and I go home alone."

Minjae hums placing the silverware on the plate in a crisscross form. "It'll be a nice change to have her grandparents around her. The more, the merrier. And I'm sure your parents must be all over Soomin." He says looking around for a waiter.

Haneul scoffs but with no malice. "Tell me about it. She's become even more stubborn now."

"Don't stress too much. She'll grow up well under your care." Minjae swipes his credit card to pay when the waiter approaches them, the machine spitting out a white bill.