41. The Prepared Goodbye

It's already afternoon when Dae Ho wakes up groggily, his head still pounding

It's already afternoon when Dae Ho wakes up groggily, his head still pounding. He moves from the couch and freshens up, taking a cold shower to start his day. Although he's spent the whole night watching gruesome videos and he feels for the people who lost their lives, there's a strange sense of a burden being lifted from his chest. But also, he wishes Minji would come back now that he's found the USB.

The content in it can be a destructive weapon or a great advantage, pertaining to who's possessing it and what for. And surely Vee doesn't have any right intentions on why he wants it so desperately.

Dae Ho switches on the television and watches an anime that's being aired on the channel, a bowl of cut fruits in his hand with two club sandwiches. And of course, a bottle of booze. The scene on the screen keeps him on his toes, the main character fighting with the villain to death, an adrenaline inducing music playing in the background. The boy is loading his weapon when the blaring ringtone of Dae Ho's mobile phone distracts him, the man picking up the device immediately. There's no one that would call him now except for one.

"Hey, Haneul...I'm sorr—"

"It's brave of you to assume Kim Haneul would call you after you beat the crap out of him yesterday."

Dae Ho convulses up from where he's sitting, his eyes widening, head snapping left and right. The caller ID is unknown but he can recognize that voice anywhere. Vee. But how did he know what happened yesterday?

"There's no need to discard your food like that, we can talk while you're eating too," the man giggles in a high-pitched tone. Vee is nowhere in sight yet he's seeing what Dae Ho is exactly doing. "And to answer your unuttered question, yes I'm not there at your place but the little cameras I installed have been watching you since ChangMin died."

Dae Ho curses, letting out a deep growl. "You piece of sh—"

"It's not my fault you were so unaware and distraught after his death, I couldn't waste a perfect opportunity to take advantage of it. And you're not the only one with a hacker by your side." Vee interrupts to complete his statement. "I quite enjoyed the show this past month. The way you cried after your friend's death, got drunk every day, and how mercilessly you attacked Haneul. Definitely better than the anime you're watching right now." He cackles and the sound of clapping is audible along with it.

Dae Ho is too stunned to say anything as his nails dig into his palm, feeling creeped out at Vee's admission. He knows he is sick in the head but this feels disgusting. A violation of his privacy in his most intimate place.

"But now I'm bored. Let's end this. I know you have the USB now."

"What makes you think I'll give it to you. I'll smash it right now and I'm sure you'll get a great view of that too," Dae Ho hisses, picking up the flash drive and holding it between his fingers, and waving it in the air.