43. The Aftermath

"

"...start calling me hyung, you brat."

Dae Ho scoffs. "Hyung is for someone who's considered older, you, on the other hand, are a man-baby."

"Why can't you just do it? Will you ever do it?"

"I will do it when it's a life and death situation."

"Tch, you're impossible."

Dae Ho has never called Haneul 'hyung', ever, even after the doctor insisted on several occasions. Back then, it had been a joke to both of them, but right now Haneul wants to scream instead of laughing. He wants to slap himself awake from this nightmare. He wants to wash off the guilt that his body is covered in. He brings his trembling hands in front of his face, tears dropping in his palms. Vee had forcibly pressed the trigger twice even if the doctor had tried to move the gun away. The blood from Dae Ho's body is as real as the new title Haneul has earned. He's now a murde—

"It—it's going to take...more than a bullet in my leg to kill me."

Haneul's head snaps to the voice and his lungs fill with air at the sight. Maybe, no he's sure, he's never been so happy to see the cocky smirk Dae Ho throws daily, grinning like a damn idiot. The doctor crawls towards him immediately, pulling him into a hug without a second thought. "Thank— I thought—"

"Ow! Ow! My leg, Haneul!" Dae Ho whines and holds his bleeding shin, the crimson liquid staining his hand, his expression still playful. The older follows his actions too, applying pressure on the wound to help with the bleeding.

"It's truly a beautiful sight but I'm afraid I'll have to end this," Vee starts, picking up the gun Haneul had dropped. But before he could shoot, the doctor sprints, kicking the man's hand and making the gun clatter to the ground.

"Yeah, I don't think so."

"Alright, then," Vee twists his lip. "My fists would be enough for you."

"Bring it on, you stale piece of cheese."

The Chinese man attacks first, his boot directly digging into Haneul's gut. He doubles over in pain, clutching the area when a punch jabs his jaw.

"Shit!" The doctor stumbles to the floor but he gets up with wobbly feet. He is no easy opponent, Haneul knows it already but he still needs to fight him, however, it may be. This isn't a situation he can escape from.

He takes his stance, fishing for whatever he can use as a weapon from his pocket. He gets a hold of his work key. He puts it in his palms and curls his hand into a fist, passing the key blade between his ring and middle finger, making a pseudo weapon. He knows it could be lethal but it's a life-and-death crisis and Dae Ho wouldn't be able to fight with an injured leg. And Haneul is a doctor so he can avoid Vee's vital points. He jumps towards Vee and swings a punch with full force, the key's tip digging into the latter's shoulder. He steps back, drawing a thread of blood.